Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Long Range Electronic Signaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmh556

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to signal from a very far distance not line of sight. Is there a relatively easy way to do this which is cheap. I'm thinking of something that can signal at least 50 miles that costs $50 or less. Cell reception might also be spotty so that method might not be possible. Any ideas? I realize that it's a tough challenge and also pretty open ended. Just seeing if anything out there might work.

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to signal from a very far distance not line of sight. Is there a relatively easy way to do this which is cheap. I'm thinking of something that can signal at least 50 miles that costs $50 or less. Cell reception might also be spotty so that method might not be possible. Any ideas? I realize that it's a tough challenge and also pretty open ended. Just seeing if anything out there might work.

Yes, there is a way to do it. Outside the Earth we have what we can the ionosphere that can reflect radio signals particularily in the HF bands (3-30MHz). If you were to obtain a amateur radio license, you could actually communicate across the world with enough power. 50miles will be easy with an HF radio and you most like will be able to do it with 1-5W of power. Unfortunately, cost is an issue but you could use CW (Morse Code) to have an inexpensive communication device. I know of some companies that make these QRP (low power) kits that mostly are CW but they might have voice communications.

Here is one of the kits:

**broken link removed**

But remember! You would have to get your amateur radio license before you would be privaleged to operate within these bands.

I'm trying to develop a device for use in Afghanistan by the US Army and it needs to signal from a long distance, not line of sight, with poor or no cell reception. HF radio sounds promising but its cost and size might be prohibitive. Morse code would work fine. It just needs to deliver a ping but can't have much of an antenna on its broadcasting point.

If there is any wire between the two sites it would be very easy. You didn't say it had to be wireless did you?

When did the US Army go broke and need to budget a $50 RF device?

That's probably because it's Afghanistan and it's for the OTHER army... :eek:
:D

Hence "can't have much of an antenna on it's broadcasting point"...

Come on now, you expect us to believe this is for *cheap* US army *spies* that *don't have any of their own equipment* and need to covertly send messages out from 50 miles within enemy territory??

I'm trying to develop a device for use in Afghanistan by the US Army and it needs to signal from a long distance, not line of sight, with poor or no cell reception. HF radio sounds promising but its cost and size might be prohibitive. Morse code would work fine. It just needs to deliver a ping but can't have much of an antenna on its broadcasting point.

The Army already has portable radios that operate off of satellites.
Sounds like something the terrorists are looking to use for remote detonation.
VHF or UHF would use small antenna's.
If you want HF the antenna length depends on the frequency, which requires a quite large antenna.

Last edited:

They have SATCOM in the Army, and commander's are issued SAT phones. There's no limit to the range of either of these. Also the BlueForce tracking system is installed on every vehicle, and it ever has internet capability, albeit through a heavily encrypted IRC protocol.

50 miles

"It just needs to deliver a ping" or a BOOM!:eek::mad:

I would suggest that you do use one of those kits, which are very inexpensive. Also, as for the antenna, you can use a fractal antenna. These are very compact and usually have UWB (Ultra-Wide Bandwidth). So that the antenna is shorter, I would use the 10M band.

^^ Even then it's not a feasible idea. The military only caters idea's from it's own first, and without a rep that served for a good period of time it would be nearly impossible for him to even get his foot in the door.

Just like everything in life without knowing the right people, and knowing the system you will not get anywhere.

"Just like everything in life without knowing the right people, and knowing the system you will not get anywhere. "
I wish I knew that 50 years ago...or even last week.

"Just like everything in life without knowing the right people, and knowing the system you will not get anywhere. "
I wish I knew that 50 years ago...or even last week.
I detect a hint of sarcasm, but it's a truth that most kid's these day's never seem to understand. Until they are in a tough spot, and have no one that can help them out. Ω

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back