Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Locating a power supply without bankrupting my country

Status
Not open for further replies.

freecolor

Hey fellas,

Brand new. Had to make an account here specifically so i won't bankrupt my family, my town, my city and my entire country.
I moved into a house, and there's a pretty lovely looking monitor just sitting here. It's a HP - 27fw.

As you can imagine it's a 27 inch. I live in ireland, and normally in ireland, our monitors and TV's come with a power Chord rather than a CPU, which has a 3pin Male input on it (and the chord for it is female, like here

Unfortunately, this monitor, doesn't have that. What it does have it a hole for a power plug thingy. You know a little cable with a single pin fat female hole on it. usually for 9volt power plugs.
A guy in my town has the ones I'm looking for he thinks, but i have to bring the monitor to him so he can try a bunch he said, and no matter which one it is that works, it's gonna cost €42. Which is about $45. My country has a GDP of $44.50. (Nah but seriously, this guy has LITERALLY hundreds of these power adapters theres, and i think ecause he charges 42 for them, thats why he has so many)

Anyway, Can one of you excellent electronic wizards (which i hope to be myself someday, I've got my first Solder station en route, and am doing a home course on electronics and electronics repair, starting when it arrives) ANYWAY.

Can one of you help me locate the very one i need via link, or can you at least give me the spec or guide me to exactly what I'm looking for?

here's all of the info written on the sticker next to the input.

--- HP 27FW
--- HSTND-9951-K
--- Input Rating DC 19V --- 2.1A (2,1A)
--- In Standby (it's spanish and says Espara) uses 0.3W and in Normal mode uses 20W.
The input is literally just a male single pin quarter inch diameter hole. Also right under it theres a straight line,
with another line directly under it split into 3 small lines.

SO I'm presuming this is all what I'm looking for.
Could someone maybe link me one that isn't expensive in ireland, or literally just link me to something
thats what i need and i can do the rest of the work myself.

Thanks so much guys for taking the time to read.

Regards
AJQ

(Nah but seriously, this guy has LITERALLY hundreds of these power adapters theres, and i think ecause he charges 42 for them, thats why he has so many)

so.... nobody teaches economics there? there's something called "supply and demand" that makes pricing gravitate to a certain level. i can literally walk ino a "second-hand store" here in the USA and expect to pay about $1 (about 0.25 to 0.5 euro) for one.

so.... nobody teaches economics there? there's something called "supply and demand" that makes pricing gravitate to a certain level. i can literally walk ino a "second-hand store" here in the USA and expect to pay about $1 (about 0.25 to 0.5 euro) for one.

Hey man can i ask a quick question, what are you talking about? Thanks

$25

Hm, do you actually think that 42 is a decent price for such a thing then without having to go through paying for shipping etc? And thank you!

Hm, do you actually think that 42 is a decent price for such a thing then without having to go through paying for shipping etc? And thank you!

Who knows what he has in his stockpile. Just make sure the voltage is right, and the amperage meets or exceeds the requirements of the TV monitor.

Do you have Amazon in Ireland? They average about $20 USD so 1 Euro = about 1.13 USD or about $23 USD. If I thought it would not be a problem with international mail I have one laying here I would give you. I would say 42 Euros is actually well above what a used one should cost but then too, I am not in Ireland. Here are links to what I am getting at.

Ron

Do you have Amazon in Ireland? They average about $20 USD so 1 Euro = about 1.13 USD or about $23 USD. If I thought it would not be a problem with international mail I have one laying here I would give you. I would say 42 Euros is actually well above what a used one should cost but then too, I am not in Ireland. Here are links to what I am getting at.

Ron

Hi Ron, you HAVE one of what I'm lookiing for? a power supply for it with the same spec? is that what you're saying. If so, yes i could purchase from you, do you take paypal or? sorry if i misunderstood?

Hi Ron, you HAVE one of what I'm lookiing for? a power supply for it with the same spec? is that what you're saying. If so, yes i could purchase from you, do you take paypal or? sorry if i misunderstood?
Yes, what I said was I have sitting here a HP power supply. Input voltage is 100 to 240 VAC 50 to 60 Hz. Output voltage is 18.5 volts 3.3 amps so it's about a 60 watt supply. The line cord plugs into one side with a standard US 120 VAC wall outlet plug. The DC out is a standard cord with a 5.5mm DC Barrel Plug.

HP Part #239427-003

The problem is I am sitting here in Cleveland, Ohio USA. I have no idea how your customs work on postal stuff. I have no problem sticking this thing in a small cardboard box and mailing it. I do not do pay pal but as far as I am concerned you can have the thing, I will likely never have any use for it. The problem being if I send it international mail you will likely get hit with customs on your end.

So see how your other option works out.

Ron

Yes, what I said was I have sitting here a HP power supply. Input voltage is 100 to 240 VAC 50 to 60 Hz. Output voltage is 18.5 volts 3.3 amps so it's about a 60 watt supply. The line cord plugs into one side with a standard US 120 VAC wall outlet plug. The DC out is a standard cord with a 5.5mm DC Barrel Plug.

HP Part #239427-003

The problem is I am sitting here in Cleveland, Ohio USA. I have no idea how your customs work on postal stuff. I have no problem sticking this thing in a small cardboard box and mailing it. I do not do pay pal but as far as I am concerned you can have the thing, I will likely never have any use for it. The problem being if I send it international mail you will likely get hit with customs on your end.

So see how your other option works out.

Ron

Customs is based on the selling price. Usually, no Duty on donations/gifts unless customs doesn't believe it is a gift or is of significant value and worth them chasing - like a multimillion dollar boat, jewelry, ... I doubt they would blink at a 10-year-old used power supply.

Customs is based on the selling price. Usually, no Duty on donations/gifts unless customs doesn't believe it is a gift or is of significant value and worth them chasing - like a multimillion dollar boat, jewelry, ... I doubt they would blink at a 10-year-old used power supply.
Yeah, things I have sent to forum people overseas I just label Used Electronic Part and give it a value of $5.00 USD. I have sent things to Thailand (3 weeks) and Canada ( 1 week). Postage normally exceeds the value of the part.

If the thread starter wants this thing I'll find a little box and be happy to send it on its merry way. In the interest of keeping things simple the postage is on me. I doubt postage will have me begging coins or toss me into poverty. :)

Just PM me a mailing address and give me a few days to mail it. :)

Ron

Yeah, things I have sent to forum people overseas I just label Used Electronic Part and give it a value of $5.00 USD. I have sent things to Thailand (3 weeks) and Canada ( 1 week). Postage normally exceeds the value of the part.

If the thread starter wants this thing I'll find a little box and be happy to send it on its merry way. In the interest of keeping things simple the postage is on me. I doubt postage will have me begging coins or toss me into poverty. :)

Just PM me a mailing address and give me a few days to mail it. :)

Ron

On the other hand, all that to save the guy $42 for one available locally is a bit much for him to ask.

On the other hand, all that to save the guy $42 for one available locally is a bit much for him to ask.
At the end of the day, it's not a big deal....he didn't ask for it for free.
freecolor was quite willing to pay for it as per post #10:
i could purchase from you, do you take paypal or?
and Ron is perfectly happy to help him out at his own cost.
Nobody is twisting Ron's arm to do this, so I don't see what the problem is, in fact I applaud his efforts.

I don't see it as much. I have piles of things I'll likely never use during my lifetime. That much less for my wife to worry about when I check out. :) I likely spent more money on beer at the local Bike Night tonight than postage to Ireland. :) I just want to be sure this will work for the guy before I send it.

Ron

Very generous Ron and I'm quite sure many of us here are in a position to duplicate your efforts, if we just try.
I know that there is plenty of stuff that I have here, which could be used by others in a less fortunate position.
There was a young guy that expressed an interest in electronics some time ago, and we had an interesting chat. He said that he was salvaging components and putting blinky-lights and other stuff together, so the next time I saw him, he went away with a baggie containing an Arduino Nano/resistors/caps/pots/jumper-wires/tact-switches/LDR's/diodes/LED's/assorted transistors/breadboard/a wall-wart, and printed instructions for the Arduino IDE download/setup, and some example schematics/circuits.
Haven't heard any explosions lately, so I guess he's still doing okay.

I don't see it as much. I have piles of things I'll likely never use during my lifetime. That much less for my wife to worry about when I check out. :) I likely spent more money on beer at the local Bike Night tonight than postage to Ireland. :) I just want to be sure this will work for the guy before I send it.

Ron

I agree, Ron. I just like to make sure the recipient is going to need it by the time it arrives. Each time I send "care packages" to an inventor in need, she asks if the postage is tax deductible. Then she looks at the pile of stuff in the basement and estimates how many hundreds of packages I have to send out before I check out.

I agree, Ron. I just like to make sure the recipient is going to need it by the time it arrives. Each time I send "care packages" to an inventor in need, she asks if the postage is tax deductible. Then she looks at the pile of stuff in the basement and estimates how many hundreds of packages I have to send out before I check out.
Pretty much the same here. Of the care packages I have sent out there was only one member who neglected to ever mention a thank you and I sent that one some nice parts. That was several years ago and I will never send him anything again. I just want to see it needed and working out.

As a side note we need to get together again this summer for dinner. :) including short bus and spinaker.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back