Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lm6511 single comparator configured as sourcing output

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcolby

Hi all,

My question is in regard to the LM6511. This particular chip is an open collector output and has a separate GND pin from the normal opamp V+ and V- supplies. I was wondering if I can configure this to a sourcing output instead of sinking by tying the output to my positive supply and use the gnd pin as the output. Check out the attached image.

here is the datasheet: **broken link removed**

Thanks for any suggestions...

Attachments

• lm6511 sourcing output.png
    lm6511 sourcing output.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 202
That won't work. Don't use an open collector amp if you want a sourcing one.

Read for yourself. LM6511 - 180 ns 3V Comparator
Thanks for the deep insight there brownout.

I wasnt thinking too clearly this morning... I realize the GND and V- are separate pins because it is a dual supply amp.

Secondly...
That won't work. Don't use an open collector amp if you want a sourcing one.
This doesn't make much sense. Are you saying an open collector PNP will not source?

If you had one with a PNP it would, but you don't. If you only want source current, you can use an amp with complementry outputs and just connect a diode in series with the output. Or, you can connect an external transistor, or just a pullup resistor. If I knew what you were trying to accomplish, I could make better recomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back