Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM393 Comparator operation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotsman7

When I connect the 50/50 duty cycle output signal from a 555 timer chip to the input of a properly laid out LM393 comparator, the comparator is able to adjust the duty cycle of that input signal to a different duty cycle. In other words -- the comparator works.
But when the 50/50 duty cycle output signal from a 4027 flip-flop is connect to the input of the same LM393 comparator, the comparator doesn't seem to be able to adjust the output cuty cycle to a new required setting.
Can anyone explain to me why this is happening; and also help me with this.
What I need are two opposite adjustable duty cycle signals (thus the reason for the 4027 in the circuit). I then need to be able to reduce and control that duty cycle adjustment in order to control further circuitry.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The 555/393 circuit works because it uses the varying voltage from the 555 being compared to the reference voltage on the 393.

The 4027 does not give a varying voltage, it is digital. Either on or off.

Hi Shortbus,
You are correct, and I just tumbled to that situation while sorting this thing out in my workshop. The waveform that I have connected to the 393 is coming from pins 2 -6 from the 555, not the square block output from pin 3. I had been looking at the thing too long.
What I need now is help in configuring an Integrator circuit, which is made up of an inline resistor and a capacitor, with the capacitor being connected after the resistor and then to ground.
I'm also working specifically with a 16kHz frequency, which should have something to do with the value of those two components. As the triagular output of the 555 has sloped sides to it, I would expect the waveform of an Integrator should be roughly the same.
Again, thank you for your response and hopefully help in finding these component values.

Hi ronv,
Thank you very much for this info and the quick response time. I'll try it out this afternoon after picking up the capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back