Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM386 Mini Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make the LM386 circuit that is in its datasheet.
Its minimum supply voltage is 4V where its output power into 8 ohms at clipping is only 0.07W which is almost nothing. You are powering it with less supply voltage so if it works then its power will be less.

It won't have interference if it is built compactly on a pcb and the input cable is shielded audio cable.

are there any other amp you recommend for running on 3.6v?
3.6V is extremely low for a power amplifier and for an 8 ohm speaker.

A TDA2822M works with a supply voltage down to 1.8V!
It is also in an 8-pins case but is two bridged amplifiers for double the voltage swing than an LM386 and therefore its output power is about 4 times more at about 0.28W. It is still a very small amount of power so keep the volume control turned down low enough so the amplifier does not clip.
A schematic and a pcb design are in its datasheet.

Last edited:
k thanks. are there any other amp you recommend for running on 3.6v?

TA7368P is an excellent audio power amp designed by Toshiba for portable applications. It has very low distortion and noise probably not at all!!
It works well with a couple of external comps and doesn't even need an input coupling cap :p. I've made it as a rechargeable ipod power amp(6v).
Since 1yr I'm enjoying good music thru that. The 4*AA rechargeable battery lasts without any distortion for around 2months, half hour usage perday!
Vcc(2-10V,avg 720mW)

TA7368P is an excellent audio power amp designed by Toshiba for portable applications. It has very low distortion and noise probably not at all!!
It has the same low output power as the LM386 power amplifier because it is a similar single-ended copy.

It has the same low output power as the LM386 power amplifier because it is a similar single-ended copy.

I've assembled LM386 only once and dropped into my toilet and flushed well with plenty of water!
It is suitable for testing an audio sound because it amplifies.
It is not good for a dedicated application because it produces audible noise even at low-gain configuration. No need to say about higher conf!
TDA2822 requires higher load resistance at bridge configuration. A really mess circuit. It is mainly intended for stereo apps.
TA7368P has a lowest possible simplified application circuit. I can't hear a little bit of noise when the volume control turned full up at no signal condition. When a signal is inputted it neatly amplifies and gives a smooth output :)
NB: I have first seen TA7368P on the output stage of a Philips radio receiver(guess LM386 in place of that). Philips have used LA4510 on the output stage of 3v walkman superheterodyne radios(old).

Attachments

• TA7368P.gif
    TA7368P.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • LM386.gif
    LM386.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,541
  • TDA2822M.gif
    TDA2822M.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,347
I think I'm going to try the ta7368pm its v rating is as low as 2v.correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not too worrid !out the size of the board as I am the thickness. So far I've managed to keep it less than 3/8" thick including caps.the thinner the better.

TDA2822 requires higher load resistance at bridge configuration. A really mess circuit. It is mainly intended for stereo apps.
No.
Its datasheet has its bridged spec's with an 8 ohm load and a 4 ohm load for the more powerful 14-pins TDA7822 version.
The datasheet for the little TDA7822M in the 8-pins version has its bridged spec's with a 32 ohm, 16 ohm, 8 ohm and 4 ohm load.

I think I'm going to try the ta7368pm its v rating is as low as 2v.correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not too worrid !out the size of the board as I am the thickness. So far I've managed to keep it less than 3/8" thick including caps.the thinner the better.

It will work fine at 2v. 2-10V is acceptable by the IC. Normal operation is at 6v providing an output power near to 1W.

Attachments

• ta 7368pcir.JPG
    ta 7368pcir.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 7,643
Do they make a similar chip as a surface mount? Or only through hole? Or can I simply bend the tabs and surface mount it? Lol keep in mind I'm 22 work nights and have way too much time on my hands!a Ufo is my next project!!

It (the Toshiba TA7368 IC) will work fine at 2v. 2-10V is acceptable by the IC. Normal operation is at 6v providing an output power near to 1W.
No.
Its output power with a 3V supply and an 8 ohm load is only 80mW at clipping. With a 2V supply then its output power is much less, maybe only 10mW which is almost nothing.

1W into 8 ohms is a voltage swing of 8V p-p. The swing into 8 ohms with a 6V supply is only about 4.4V p-p. The datasheet shows it clipping with an output power of only 300mW when it has a 6V supply and an 8 ohm load.

Its output power when it has a 6V supply, a 4 ohm load and severe clipping with 20% distortion is 900mW.

So am I better off finding lower ohm speakers? Only reason I am using the ones I have is because they are super thin. I believe they are around 5mm. But I'm sure I can find some better. Can someone also suggest a cite about the clipping and such. I don't wanna badger you guys with noob questions

Speakers with a lower impedance (ohms) draw more current from an amplifier if the amplifier can supply more current. Then the power is a little more.

An amplifier's output clips when its output voltage swing becomes the maximum that it can with a certain power supply voltage. If the volume control is turned higher then the clipping slices off the top and bottom of each wave creating square-waves and severe distortion.

I think you are talking about using tiny speakers with an extremely low power which will result in very faint audio.

With a 2V supply then its output power is much less, maybe only 10mW which is almost nothing.
No.
I feel like a datasheet itself is talking :D
I've got a notable performance degradation only at Vcc down to 1.8V. I've measured the voltage and I again recharged the cellpack to a maximum possible 5.5V for 4*AA cells. Current consumption is too low.
When I'm writing this, still I'm hearing music thru it. Ahh....
With 2v supply the TA7368P IC is capable of delivering good audible audio like any other 3V power amp IC's.
Hi tidos,
You can even use this IC with just 2*AA cells. Alkaline or high capacity NiMh cells will give you longer operating time. Look at the datasheet here for SMD version TA7368F, package info and other details.

Attachments

• 936.pdf
    381.2 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
So the "speakers" are actually earphones.
Without an enclosure do they produce any bass frequencies?
Why didn't you use ear-buds?

So am I better off finding lower ohm speakers? Only reason I am using the ones I have is because they are super thin. I believe they are around 5mm. But I'm sure I can find some better. Can someone also suggest a cite about the clipping and such. I don't wanna badger you guys with noob questions

So am I better off finding lower ohm speakers?
A 4 ohm speaker will try to draw twice as much current as an 8 ohm speaker. The amplifier will try to double the current but will provide only about 1.8 times the current.
Then the power to a 4 ohm speaker is about 1.8 times the power to an 8 ohm speaker.
A difference of double the power is very small because our hearing's response to loudness is logarithmic. 10 times the power sounds twice as loud.

sorry for the double post. thanks alot for your help. yes they are earphones. i'm integrating the unit inside my helmet so that i don't have to use earbuds. they do produse some bass. they sound similar to noise canceling headphones without the padding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back