Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM317T Voltage Regulator 24V 0.2A to 12V 0.3A

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnstG

Hi All,

I have a circuit with 24V PBC mounted power supply with max current rating of 200mA.

I need to regulate down to 12V to drive a stepper motor rated at 300mA.

If I regulate from 24V to 12V using a LM317T regulator to drive the stepper motor at 0.3A, or would I be limited to 200mA by the 24V supply?

If you use a buck switchmode regulator, than you should be able to get about 350 on the output.

Thanks Eric, so the LM317T is not an option then.

@Kubeek, thank you... I have checked out buck converters and came accros the MC33063A... Looks like it could do the job, will give it a bash.

There are many "monolithic switchers" that are only slightly more difficult to design with than your average three terminal liner regulator. They have the benefit of having more efficiency do to being switch mode, and having a higher current, usually for the same reason. My Raspberry pi is on a daughter board I am designing, which is powered off of one of these switchers.

Linear Techknowledgies LT1074 or Motorola's MC33166T are good places to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back