Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM317 voltage issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faradave

Okay here's one for you guys I made a voltage regulator out of lm317 which is a voltage regulator. The weirdest thing, I supply it with a 32 volt adapter out of a printer. But the maximum I can get out of it is 20 volts. Now cording to the datasheet you'll get a couple of volts less than what, 1 or 2 less. Can you guys figure out what I'm doing wrong that I get only two-thirds the power I'm feeding it? Here's the circuit diagram that I followed.
20191231_225350.png
except I used a 20K pot but that shouldn't make a difference right that just makes it more sensitive

LM 317 will use foldback current limiting if you are trying to draw too much current from it. Try running it with no load connected. And than check the output voltage.

My 1st thought was to go in and lower the resistor value but it's all nice and packaged in box and I wanted to check with yall

That is a non-standard circuit for adjusting a 317 and the results will be somewhat strange.
The pot wiper & resistor junction should also connect to the adj pin.

eg. like this; with 330 ohm and a 20K pot the adjustment range would be up to something over 70V

lm317-variable-power-supply-circuit.gif

Wait, so one side of the pot is connected to ground the opposite side is connected to the adjust pin the wipers connected to the adjust pin and the 330 Ohm resistor is connected to the adjust pin? like that? That diagram is unclear to me where the wiper goes

For the LM317, R1 should be 120 ohms to ensure the minimum required load current is drawn in all cases. The LM117 minimum load current is half that of the LM317, allowing the higher value for R1.

Oh you wanna know something else? When I'm powering something, there is a high pitch whine in the pitch and volume increase as I increase the voltage output. Weird huh?

If you put a 0.1 ohm resistor inline with the + or - output of your supply, then put your meter across it every 0.1v will be 1 amps.

LM317T is good for 1.5A with a decent heatsink attached. 2.2 Amps absolute max into a short circuit. Won't self destruct. It is a beast. Well designed from word go. Thats why nothing has managed to replace it yet and it is still currently being manufactured.

I tried blowing them up with my Light Buddy. No go.

If you keep Vin - Vout less than it's specs..... you are assured of reliability for ever....heck, 8 year's now. Still going strong.

Current sensing with a low ohm resistor is a very common trick, many of my circuits use the trick.

I think your mixing up the couple of volts less than the supply with the minimum output voltage from the '317, from memory it'll only go down to 1.5v or so, it may well get close to the supply but you want some headroom for it to regulate.

Wait, so one side of the pot is connected to ground the opposite side is connected to the adjust pin the wipers connected to the adjust pin and the 330 Ohm resistor is connected to the adjust pin? like that? That diagram is unclear to me where the wiper goes

The pot is configured as a two terminal variable resistor- the wiper is linked to one end of the track.

Below is the LTspice simulation of the circuit that goes from about 1.2V to 30V for pot rotation of 0 to 100% (0 to 1 on the horizontal axis).
The 6.99K ohm in parallel with the pot allows a 30v maximum output at near 100% rotation with a standard 5k pot.
This gives a slightly non-linear output voltage versus pot rotation, but gives finer voltage resolution versus rotation at the higher output voltages.

1577915076084.png

BOOM! Somebody busts out some spice action! This is a great place for info, you guys are beyond casual! That's awesome man, I'll have to search for a 5k pot the lowest I have is 20k. My thing is recycling parts from broken electronics so I can be like "from trash came all this" but I'll save your circuit diagram.

And yea the lowest the regulator will go is about 1.25V.

Awesome guys, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back