Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM1084: Adjustable Voltage Regulator Querries

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackshadow

I'm designing a system where i needed to create adjustable regulated voltage output. i was using LM1084.

My maximum load requirement is 3A.

My Vinput=15V and set outputs at 9.5V and 5.5V.

My load for 5.5V is 3A while for 9.5V, it is 1A.

During my setup for 5.5V/2.5A, i realized that initially, i was able to maintain the load but after few seconds, the Load current starts to decrease and the LM1084 is overheating. I don't have a heatsink but only a copper with 2x the dimension of LM1084.

Here are my questions:

1. what is the typical Heat Sink setup for my application with 15V input and a load of 3A maximum?

2. what is the maximum Input to Output Voltage Differential?

From the data sheet:-
Maximum Input to Output Voltage Differential
LM1084-ADJ 29V
LM1084-12 18V
LM1084-3.3 27V
LM1084-5.0 25V

With a 15 V input, a 5.5 V output and a 3 A load, the power is

(15 - 5.5) * 3 = 28.5 W

The output section has a thermal resistance of 2.7 °C/W, so it will be 77 °C hotter than the tab. If you are running in air at 30 °C, and the output section at its limit of 150 °C, you have 120 °C difference. 77 °C is internal, leaving 43 °C in the heat sink, so you need a heat sink that is rated at 43/28.5 = 1.5 °C/W

Something like:-
FISCHER ELEKTRONIK|SK 04/100 SA|HEAT SINK, 100MM | Farnell United Kingdom

You really should consider a buck regulator, as it will be far more efficient, and you will need a far smaller heat sink, if any. What is the application?

Last edited:
From the data sheet:-

With a 15 V input, a 5.5 V output and a 3 A load, the power is

(15 - 5.5) * 3 = 28.5 W

The output section has a thermal resistance of 2.7 °C/W, so it will be 77 °C hotter than the tab. If you are running in air at 30 °C, and the output section at its limit of 150 °C, you have 120 °C difference. 77 °C is internal, leaving 43 °C in the heat sink, so you need a heat sink that is rated at 43/28.5 = 1.5 °C/W

Something like:-
FISCHER ELEKTRONIK|SK 04/100 SA|HEAT SINK, 100MM | Farnell United Kingdom

You really should consider a buck regulator, as it will be far more efficient, and you will need a far smaller heat sink, if any. What is the application?

Thank you so much for your informative answers. Well understood.

This is actually a circuit module of my Power Supply Sequencing and Current Limiter Circuit.
I needed 5 different output voltages whose load can reach 3A.
I'm currently on my prototype stage.

Where did you get the thermal resistance of 2.7 C/W ?

I will come back at you on other circuit modules of my project. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back