Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lm 317T voltage regulator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used thousands of transistors but I have never guessed and have never measured to determine which pin is which.
Instead I simply look at the labelled photo on its datasheet.

Can the test you do to find out B C M and NPN on a Dartlington transistor can you use a DMM
Where the reading between the base and collector is the lowest reading on diod test
And the NPN the N is the negative and P is the positive of the DMM
Is this correct

That's correct, but still you need to know which is B and which is C, and A, so datasheet is your friend, and knowadays it is a matter of secondes

I have used thousands of transistors but I have never guessed and have never measured to determine which pin is which.
Instead I simply look at the labelled photo on its datasheet.

Datasheet? You noob. ;)

TO220 and TOP3 are always BCE and TO126 are always ECB and TO-3 are always BE(C).

(poking fun at AG's many years of experience) ;)

When you measure the 3 pins and you find the B is the B to C always the lowest reading usind a DMM and the B to E is the highest
Is this Correct.
Thank you all for your continued assistance It makes electronices mor enjoyable and I am learning more things with yiur Help.

which one of the attached ? 10η or 10μ ?

I'm using LM317 to get 1.5v to 6 volts output ( Variable ) using 9v input and the 5k Pot.

The cap should go between the Adj pin and the ground (ie where the bottom of the pot connects). If the cap is too large it might be sluggish adjusting the voltage, but 10uF might be ok. Personally I would use a large cap but not electro, so maybe a 0.33uF greencap (polyester).

(to Gregory); Regarding the pins of the transistors, it's good to print out or draw pictures of the main power transistor packages, then put the names of the packages and the pinouts (BCE) on them too, and stick it on your workshop wall. The FETs are the same as the transistors but BCE becomes GDS (same pin functions, just different names). Also NPN and PNP all have the same pinout in all the common power packages.

In years gone by you used to get nice wall charts with all the transistor and regulator packages and resistor colour codes and Ohm's law formulas etc, I don't know if you can still get them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back