Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium Ion Batter Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadmanjim

I have a battery-powered unit that needs a new rechargeable, li-ion battery. The old battery had a charging controller spot welded to the nodes and then had shrink wrapping as the outer layer; neither of which I have.
I have purchased a new, exact replacement battery and want to swap the controller. Any ideas on making a good connection on the new battery?
Also, I would like to investigate how to run the unit without the battery at all. Does anyone have a circuit for dropping 12 vDC to 3.7 so that I could run the unit on the power puck? Is this as simple as a bunch of 1 Ohm resisters

Why use 12V if you need to drop it to 3.7V anyways? Use 5V or 6V instead. Or even a 1-cell Lithium Battery which falls around 3.7V anyways.
Wait, what's a power puck? Depending on the current required a linear regulator may suffice. But higher current levels need a switching buck converter since linear regulars waste energy and produce heat dropping 12V down to 3.7V

Last edited:
A power puck is the 120 vAC adapter that outputs 12 vDC. This came with the unit and requires not additional purchases. I can live with the heat but I do not have the diagram for a buck converter. Thanks for the response.

We have these 3.6 Volts Li Ion batteries in data loggers we use as back up for the memory settings. (they supposed last between 5 and 10 years)

If they get replaced and don't have the flying leads, carefully scrape/file the ends of the battery to make the solder grip easier.
Quickly solder your jumper leads on with a hot iron. wear safety goggles just in case.

Hey, RODALCO, I saw versions of the batteries online that have the charging controller already soldered on ($10 premium). I there any guarantee that the wiring is the same (I doubt but thought that I would ask for posterity)?

controller ?

Haven't seen those yet with the controllers, but there is nothing to stop you asking the supplier for a schematic of the connections.

It can't be too complex for $10. it is probably a resistor and diode arrangement.

Cut the spot welds and solder onto new battery. LiIon requires a complex charger that is constant current, tops at 4.2vdc, then terminates charger when current drops to low value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back