Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LiPo Battery Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroBeacon

When it comes to recharging a LiPo battery, do I really need a special charger? I have this battery: Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 1000mAh - SparkFun Electronics

It comes with a built-in Protection Circuit Board; cut-off circuits that prevent over-charging (above 4.2V) and over-discharging (below 3.2V).

So the question is, if I hook this up to a 5V @ 500mA rail, shouldn't the built-in PCB prevent over charging (and thus a catastrophic fire)?

Second question is about wiring two of them up in series to get 7.4V setup.
I know I can get 2Cell PCB and remove the current PCBs (sorta like this one: Rechargeable Batteries & Battery Chargers - PCB for 7.2V Li-PO and Li-ion 18650 / 18500 7.2V battery packs (7A Limit)-PCB7.2V7A ). The 2-Cell PCB should be able to balance the current in both cells and perform the same over-charge/over-discharge protection for each cell. So do I still need a special 2Cell charger? or can I just hook the setup to a 5V@500mA rail?

Thanks.

NO.

The components you see on the battery are BASIC thermal and over/under voltage cutoff components more than likely, they're not meant to control a charge they're meant to keep people such as yourself from catching the house on fire =) If the circuitry acts as you describe in theory you could rely on a 5V 500ma rail to charge the cell safely, but again that circuitry is meant as a failsafe not as a primary charge controller, it's your house that'll burn down if you're wrong.

I'm not sure why you even asked the second question, how do you intend to charge a 7.4V battery (even at the low cutoff of 6.4V) with a 5 volt source?

Simply speaking if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing then YES you absolutely get a proper charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back