Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linking laptop to car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxfordxx

i would like to make an incar computer so i have a laptop lying arround and decided to use that..

well i have to sort the power out 1st before i go any further.

i want to install a laptop as a car pc.

its compact wireless fast enough for what i need it for.

i have a problem though

how do i power it.

here is the laptop info
**broken link removed**

on the power adapter it says it has an output of 19v but i have just removed the battery and it says 10.8v (not sure if this is what the battery gives out to run the laptop or the charge it needs)

how could i hard wire this to the car with little expense. i want the main body of the laptop in the boot and a screen in the front somewhere.

Do an Ohmmeter check to see if the battery- is common to the metal bits on the back of the laptop. If yes, then a ~2A 14V to 10.8V Linear regulator (heatsink as necessary) wired to the battery+ terminal, with vehicle ground to battery- will work. If the battery- is not common to the frame ground on the laptop, it gets way more complicated....

thanks for that ! i will see if i can get that looked at

can one of these be bought or do i have to make one!

thanks for your help

Last edited:
The voltage at the output is unique so that you have to build one. The hard work is already done. Look up an LM338, LM350, or LM323 on **broken link removed**

Go to National, and click on "find a stocking distributor" Farnell comes to mind.

I prefer this one.

Down load the Data Sheet. Look at the suggested circuits, especially Fig 3. You will need a mounting kit to bolt it to car frame for heatsinking, otherwise you will need a large heatsink. Two resistors to set the voltage, Two diodes for reverse polarity protection, two capacitors as shown on the data sheet.

Last edited:
might i suggest just buying an AC adapter made for use in cars? or is there not one availible? i have a Dell and mine has an availible travel adapter (but its an extra $65). just a thought

You could just use a aftermarket 12 volt to 19 volt adapter and power the laptop normal. They sell for around $12 - $15 on eBay. **broken link removed**

For the time and materials I would doubt a homemade one could be fashioned any cheaper that works over the same range and power inputs and outputs.

I have a spare unused Dell Laptop 19V 5A car adapter (square 3-pin) that I added a Toshiba connector (barrel 2-conductor) to power my tosh but didn't realise my Toshiba only takes 16v and gets overloaded by this. Yours for £15 incl UK postage if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back