Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lightning LED from the mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

In order to save power of my inverter during the hour of Load-shedding, I want to make some led lights.
I want to glow a single LED from the 220 V 50Hz mains.
( I have already lighted this LED from 12V DC by using 560Ω in series and it has been glowing fine continiously for a week. During work, 3.01V appears across the LED, so I guess, its a 3V led.)

I tried a simple circuit with a 1N4007 diode, a 33KΩ Resistor and the LED in series to glow from the mains. The LED Glows, but not in full brightness. Even then my 1/2 Watt Resistor burns out by heating after some time. I won't go for higher power resistor since I want this light to be in the order of 0.1 watts. So, how would I able to glow the lED without wasting significant amount of enery as heat?

Capacitance ballast for LED is common. It does require a safety surge protection in case contact is quickly bounced such that charged ballast cap and new AC main voltage peaks don't blow LED.

You can buy a cheap LED night light and take it apart to see how it works.

I'm surprised that the LED itself didn't burn out from 220 V -.-
The 33k resistor limited the current to 220V/33k= 6.7mA which is nowhere close to burning out the LED.
But the power dissipated by the resistor is 0.73W.

There are a number of threads here relating to making your own line powered LED systems. They are well worth doing a quick search!

The higher voltage AC or non polar mylar and poly capacitors are cheap. Free if you know what your looking for in old computer monitors or other electronics!

But wouldn't a 220v capacitor be too expensive for this cheap purpose?
Much cheaper than a higher wattage resistor and it's heat dissipation issues. It is what they use in the, cheap made in China, night lights that you buy.
And Would it deliver a shock even after removing it from the mains?
That is a possibility with that circuit. A 1MΩ resistor in parallel with the cap would solve that "potential" issue. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back