Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting for Home work Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Know quiet a few members are getting on in years like myself and probably have the same problem that when working on circuits etc the old eyesight is letting things down.

I currently use a 15w Daylight Lightcraft circular tube desk lamp but feel that is a little small for a busy 4ft worktable.

With all the many types of lighting around, led, halogen, tubes wondered what are the better types to use, also seems the 60/100w daylight incandescent bulbs are still available here in the uk

The table is in the house so fitting say a 4ft tube on the ceiling is not a option, so I'm told !! :stop:

I used 3 of these 10W LEDs. You need also heatsinks and power supply to drive each with 900mA. I made the supply just for something to do.
The light from the 3 together is similar to what you get from 150W halogen. The disadvantage is that you must have several LEDs and not only one. The reason is that LED gives very intense light that doesn't defuse so you get dark shadow, using 3 or 4 scattered LEDs reduces the effect.
**broken link removed**

As much as I like LED's, for diffused bright illumination that resembles sunlight, I prefer a single tri-phosphor daylight tube 16" over the counter under a shelf or cabinet..

A single 4ft 32W tube can give 2800 lumens or the equivalent of 25 to 35W of LED power .

If reading color codes or important a high CRI >80 is needed so look for this spec.

Here are some fluorescent counters I have done. The front light reflection off the orange is the kitchen window sunlight and the top is the 5000K tri-phosphor single tube.
5414504200_1424746757.jpg

In this case the single tube is installed directly under wooden shelf with tombstone connectors and a valence added in front with the light 16" over the counter.
3149148700_1424747178.jpg

Last edited:
The 10W LEDs mentioned are available from banggood.com at about US$1 a piece, search for SKU060051. I use a line array of the SKU175601s, no heatsink required. Check out the thread by Nigel G. from earlier today about the experience other members have with banggod. E

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back