Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Light switch cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzbang

Im trying to make sence of some electrics my dad started a few years ago.....its a light and switch to a bathroom, and two lights ans a switch in a bedroom. I'm in the Philippines with no earth, but using English cable and switches, and a Philippine ceiling rose. I will say what i amuse from what i understand, then leave it to any expert to help me out. So from the pictures attached there are two switches, one outside the bathroom which im assuming is the bathroom switch. And a switch on the other wall for the two ceiling lights in the bedroom. whats confusing me is the switch cables. There are three cables in the bathroom ceiling all twin and earth.....my ceiling fitting only has two connectors so im struggling with what goes where......there is also a nic in the one cable where he used to mark the cable to remind him whats what....im not sure what cable is the one that's marked. same in the bed room....the second light is obviously just linked to the other so its a single cable and i have wired it to the fitting, the second again same as the bathroom has three twin and earth cables. 1 being the cable from the other bedroom light.........but im stuck again on the switch cable...any help would be great..thanks..

IMG_20210830_122255.jpg
IMG_20210830_122304.jpg
IMG_20210830_122316.jpg
IMG_20210830_122338.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_122325.jpg
    IMG_20210830_122325.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
Get a multimeter and a spare piece of wire.

With the house power turned off !!! connect the spare wire to eg. the live connection of one cable then search for continuity between that and the other cable ends.

Identify and mark all cables, eg. both ends of number one, both ends of number two etc., so you can tell where each comes from and goes to. Until you know that, it's just guesswork.

This is the most likely arragement with three cables going to the light - a ceiling rose connection with power in, power out and a spur to the switch:

ceiling_rose.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back