Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-ion battery pack powered by solar cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingr4y

Hi guys, I am trying to build a system by which an 18v. 10w. solar panel charges a 3.7v 6600maH Li-ion battery pack, this one to be exact: -

**broken link removed**

I have experimented (using my mobile phone) with connecting up a regular car mobile phone charger (converting 18v panel input into ~ 5.5v output ) with some success. However, I am concerned that connecting this directly to my tenergy battery pack will cause problems as I know that li-ion batteries are easy to destroy without the correct protection circuits.

The information with the tenergy battery states that the protection for overcharge/discharge is built in to the pack but the webpage also seems to imply that protection circuits such as

Rechargeable Batteries & Battery Chargers - Protection circuit Module ( PCB ) for 3.7V Li-Polymer Battery (8.5A limit)-PCB1S

and

**broken link removed**

are required??? What do you guys think of all of this?? Can I just whack my solar panel output onto the battery terminals via my mobile phone car charger or am I missing something???

Also, I have noticed whilst trying to charge my phone with the solar panel that it works perfectly, but when the power goes off for whatever reason (eg sun going behind a cloud) the phone doesnt start charging again when the sun reappears.. is this some kind of protection built into the mobile phone charger??????????

I am a bit of an electronics noob so I would be most grateful for any help as I am finding very little useful info in google searches and tenergy and the battery websites dont reply to queries...

Thanks in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back