Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-ion battery help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrb011270

Mabuhay!

I don't know if this is the right forum to place such an inquiry. Anyway, I'd love ask help from this community if they have any idea on how I could be able to use this Sanyo Lithium Ion Battery with model number 103450.

A freind of mine give this to me and it includes a small sheet of paper which all the words written is in japanese. Their is a table which says like this:

3.7V, 1,400mA, 2CmA(2.8A), 1lt-4.2V, 3hour, 2.75V ---> anybody who can provide me explanation of this figure stated?

Also, any help of circuits/schematics on how I can use this.

BTW, it has a small pcb attach... I guess this is a protection circuits for not damaging the battery during use. Also, it has 4-terminal which I dont' know what purpose?

I'll appreciate any help on this....

Thanx

This is a 10mm thick by 34mm x 50mm prismatic LiIon cell. The small PCB is indeed for protection. It protects against overdischarge, overcharge, and overcurrent. Two of the four terminals are your normal (protected) outputs (+ and -). They are generally the two outer terminals. you can easily locate them with a multimeter. The other two you need not concern yourself with. They are generally a thermistor (for reading the temp. of the cell), and a resistor or other device for identifying the battery to the ciicuit. Look up the LT1734 for a charger circuit.

Hope it helps.

Jem

jem said:
This is a 10mm thick by 34mm x 50mm prismatic LiIon cell. The small PCB is indeed for protection. It protects against overdischarge, overcharge, and overcurrent. Two of the four terminals are your normal (protected) outputs (+ and -). They are generally the two outer terminals. you can easily locate them with a multimeter. The other two you need not concern yourself with. They are generally a thermistor (for reading the temp. of the cell), and a resistor or other device for identifying the battery to the ciicuit. Look up the LT1734 for a charger circuit.

Hope it helps.

Jem

Do you have any idea which of the specific pins are the protected output?

jem said:

Hope it helps.

Jem

I check with my tester and I found out that the 1st two terminal wer the protected output (+ and -) terminal. ok, I have it... how can I connect a charger like the LT1734 u mention? Can I connect the charger output to the protected output of the battery?

BTW, wud it be possible to use the MAX1736 rather than the LT1734?

Need help here?

Thanx

The PCM circuit allows charging and discharging; so it is transparent to the user except for the protection features and some additional resistance due to the series connection of two MOSFET's.

Yes, you can use the Maxim part. However, it is inferior to the LT chip in the sense that it requires a current limited source. From the size of the cell that you described, the max. charging current can probably be as high as 2A (just a guess). So, any small "wall adapter" DC source should be current limited enough to allow the successful use of the Maxim chip.

Hope this helps.

Jem

Li Ion batteries

I would suggest you DO NOT charge the Lithium Ion battery without the protective safety circuit that the manufacture provides. These batteries DO NOT like to be over charged and can explode. :roll:

jem said:
The PCM circuit allows charging and discharging; so it is transparent to the user except for the protection features and some additional resistance due to the series connection of two MOSFET's.

Do you mean that it is ok to attach the charger at the protected output terminal (+ and -) of the lithium ion battery? I am correct on my assumption?

Thanx

Yes! The PCM is transparent in both charging and discharging, as mentioned in my prior post.

Hello,

I am also very interested in Li-Ion battery.
Do you happen to know how to connect the safety circuit to the battery (prismatic type)? The terminal is very short and I understand that we should not solder it since it is dangerous to expose it to high temperature.

Any good advise?

Many thanks,

William

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back