Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-ion Battery charger + battery back-up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badlands

Can i charge a 7.2v Li-ion cell from a 7.5v 1200mA supply?

This supply also runs a GPRS application drawing 300mA with 1A pulses.

What i would like is a circuit that trickle charges the Li-ion cell (dont care how long it takes) but also runs the application, then on mains failure the battery needs to take over.

Will a FET so the neccessary switching between battery power & apadter power ?

**broken link removed**

tia

Badlands said:
Can i charge a 7.2v Li-ion cell from a 7.5v 1200mA supply?

I wouldn't have thought so?, I'm not particularly familiar with Li-Ion batteries, but ohms law tells you that you need a higher voltage for current to flow.

I'm presuming the 7.5V is regulated?, otherwise it will probably be considerably higher than that anyway.

how can a li-ion cell be 7.2 volts my friend?? its electrode voltage is 3.6 and it shows uoto 4.2 volts.

now as regard to charging, li-ion battery is a bomb!! handle it with care. dont charge them serially as you are saying and individual cell should not be charged above 5 volts. there are special ics for this algorithm. moover charging the cell above 4.2v is equally bad for cell life. moreover you need a temperature sensor in your charging system. why do you want to use FDC638P? you have ics specially for li-ion batteries cheaply available. go for them.

A 7.2V lithium battery is just two 3.6V cells in series.

I am not an expert at multi cell lithium charging, but it's my understanding that each cell is charged individually. Cell balancing can be used.

charge balancing is a troublesome work. if you want to apply and forget then you must use the ic's recommended for this these are MAX1737 , LP3947 , LP3921. and many more. just search the web. these set the algorithm for charging the batteries. one of these ic's support 2 cell charging. but charge balancing i dont recommend.

You need to charge them in parallel, to charge them to the required 4.1V per cell.

If you want to charge them in series, you'll need a 9V supply, minimum.

I made many sets of two 2200mAh Lithium-ion cells in series. I charge them from an LM317 set to exactly 8.4V so each cell gets 4.2V max. The wall-wart that feeds the LM317 limits the charging current.
I don't use and don't need a "charge balancing circuit". After 20 charges and discharges the cells are well balanced.
After about 4 hours the cells are fully charged and can be removed from my charger.

How did you limit the current?

Did you use a resistor or was the LM317's current limiting sufficient?

How did you limit the current?

Did you use a resistor or was the LM317's current limiting sufficient?
No.
My wall-wart is listed as 9VDC at 500mA. When the battery is discharged to 6.4V (its load shuts off when the battery voltage drops to 6.4V) then the charging current is limited to about 500mA because if it tried to go higher then the wall-wart's voltage will sag causing the LM317 to dropout which limits the current. The battery gets warm during the first hour and a half of charging then it cools for the remaining two and a half hours of charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back