Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

  • Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lettering for project box

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentonw2004

New Member
Hello again everyone. I have been busy working on my first major project and I have came to the part of labeling my enclosure. My enclosure is black abs plastic like the ones sold at radio shack. I need to know how I can add white lettering to it so I can label my buttons and adjustments. What is the easiest way? What way is most reliable? Thanks!
 

Klaus

New Member
Black plastic? You could try white Letraset lettering. These are rub on transfer, individual letters and numbers that come on a sheet. Best apply with nothing mounted to the lid (sheet is flat on box top). Spray with the clear spray to protect the lettering. Letters and spray can be got at stationary/ artists supply shops.
Cheaper opion is have them printed on a office lettering machine, the successor of the old DYMO tape. You need to know someone with such a machine, they are not cheap.
Cheaper still, print them on your computer, cut out and stick on with paper glue and cover the lot with that clear sticky whatsitsname plastic film.
 

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Klaus said:
Cheaper still, print them on your computer, cut out and stick on with paper glue and cover the lot with that clear sticky whatsitsname plastic film.

Recently I've been doing something similar, printing out front panels and them laminating them - cut it out and then glue it to the front panel, it makes a nice looking and hardwearing panel.
 

Optikon

New Member
brentonw2004 said:
Hello again everyone. I have been busy working on my first major project and I have came to the part of labeling my enclosure. My enclosure is black abs plastic like the ones sold at radio shack. I need to know how I can add white lettering to it so I can label my buttons and adjustments. What is the easiest way? What way is most reliable? Thanks!

If you are going to be doing a lot of labels (perhaps on future designs as well) I would recommend investing in a P-touch (or similar) label printer. They are very easy to use and have high quality. You can get different size tapes and it will thermally transfer your messages to the tape.
I found a little handheld unit(Brother) for $50 and it has reasonable quality but it has saved me lots of time creating labels! You can get clear tape with colored lettering etc..
 

brentonw2004

New Member
I am not sure exactly some of the things you guys have mentioned would actually look like on the box, so here is a picture of the results I need. I need to know how this was done, what with, and how I can do it? This is not my project or my picture, just one that I found to demonstrate what I am looking for. Thanks for all of your help.
 

Attachments

  • d3_1.jpg
    d3_1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 481

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
brentonw2004 said:
I am not sure exactly some of the things you guys have mentioned would actually look like on the box, so here is a picture of the results I need. I need to know how this was done, what with, and how I can do it? This is not my project or my picture, just one that I found to demonstrate what I am looking for. Thanks for all of your help.

It's probably silk-screen printed directly on the panel. You could do something similar with Letraset (rub down letters), which you then protect with clear varnish.

You could also do something similar by printing it out on your computer, and laminating it, cutting it out and glueing it on the front (although it will be shiny from the lamination - but it protects the letters. If you have a DTP package on your computer, try experimenting with it.
 

Spliceman

New Member
Lettering For Project

Spliceman suggests using clear decal material sold by Avery (possibly HP)
for use on your inkjet printer. I don't know about laser printers. Apply to sticky side of laminating sheet and cut out lam. sheet slightly larger than label and apply to project. Materials available at Office Depot, Office Max and possibly WalMart. Or go to Kinko's or some other printer and price pro made custom labels. Good luck! Spliceman Exits ~<//>~
 

brentonw2004

New Member
Does anyone have any pictures of a project box using any of these methods? On the transfers, do you have to transfer each individual letter? THanks!
 

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
brentonw2004 said:
Does anyone have any pictures of a project box using any of these methods? On the transfers, do you have to transfer each individual letter? THanks!

Yes, Letraset is letter by letter - I did see, years ago, transfers with complete words specifically for projects - but I've not seen them for years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top