Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lets talk about music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using ModPlug Tracker and some random samples from the internet. There's a better setup in my basement (read: huge MIDI setup), but we only just got the audio interface and I haven't learned Digital Performer yet, but it's not much of a transition from Studio Vision.

I did a Mortal Kombat remix on it a while ago, hopefully it'll convert so I can import it.

Nigel Goodwin said:
for me bands like:

Uriah Heep
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Yes
Genesis
ELP
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
This man speaks my language!!:D
And when he states Genesis, I'm sure he's referring to the days of Peter Gabriel, not when they went Top40 with Phil Collins! Oh and then there's Judas Priest, VanHalen, Triumvirat, and The Who.

HiTech said:
And when he states Genesis, I'm sure he's referring to the days of Peter Gabriel.

You mean they didn't finish when Gabriel left? :p

"It's one o'clock and time for lunch - pom, de, pom, de, pom!!"
"As the sun beats down, and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk"
"Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk"

Great song!!!.

my favorite song at the moment would have to be "four to the floor" by starsailor

Well I mostly listen to classic rock but I've got alittle of everything..except rap...thats not music though so its ok.

some of my favorites:
Guns N' Roses (the original band with Izzy, Duff, and of course Slash.)
Led Zeppelin
Johnny Cash
Smashing Pumpkins
Wolf Parade
Of Montreal
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Motley Crue
Sigur Ros
Trivium
Pat Green
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Postal Service
George Strait
The Knack
Mika
Bob Dylan
Van Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
...the list goes on and on

I love everything about music (I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, etc.)

AllVol said:
Blues, like rap, is too much "same old, same old" for me, and jazz is guys searching for they know not what.
Beats searching for something you know. I don't know why I insist on swimming against the stream, but I'm taking the high road by suggesting that maybe the haters on rap, blues, and jazz just haven't had a chance to listen to the best of what those genres have to offer yet.

Hentai ought to check out some Steve Reich - I recommend Music for Eighteen Musicians.

For rap/hip-hop, I like Chuck D, Beastie Boys, RATM (don't know where they fit), and pretty much anyone from the first few years of Def Jam. And NWA.

For jazz, I like John Coltrane, Miles Davis, The Gerry Mulligan Quartet, Jim Hall, Ed Bickert, Maynard Ferguson, J.J. Johnson, Jack Teagarden, Dina Washington, Mel Torme, and Ella Fitzgerald.

For blues, I like Albert King, Steve Cropper (and Otis Redding - any old-school Stax, although that's more R&B and Soul than Blues. Name a Stax tune between 1960 and 1970, and I've probably transcribed it), and Johnny Winter.

For rock, I like Queen (
'Welcome to the machine' by Pink Floyd WITH headphone , Come on does it get any better?
check out "The Prophet Song," definitely a contender), Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton (prefer Cream days), Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Pink Floyd.

Newer stuff: Radiohead, Tower of Power (old band, I know, but they're still touring! Any of the old records with Lenny Pickett are killer), James Brown (I know he died, but I gotta mention him somewhere!), Sublime, any band/musician where their musicianship trumps any spin MTV-bands could produce.

Old, old school and outside-the-box: Conlon Nancarrow, Milton Babbit, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Debussy, Bruckner, Brahms, Beethoven, J.S. Bach.

Bluegrass: Ricky Skaggs, and that weird kid from Deliverence.

Andreas Vollenweider
Anne Clark
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Gandalf
Gary Numan & Tubeway Army
Jean Michel Jarre (Oxygene, Equinox and Magnetic Fields)
Kitaro
Klaus Schulze
Kraftwerk
Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells & Platinum)
OMD
Pink Floyd
Queen
Simple Minds
Sky
Tangerine Dream
The Allan Parsons Project
Toto
The Cars
The Cure
The Human League

But above all that: the master of instrumental music : Vangelis

But above all that: the master of instrumental music : Vangelis
I have no clue whether you're being ironic or not. You're kidding around, right? Either that or Vangelis has done something I haven't heard yet. What do I know? I'm continuously blown away by what people like. So how sincere are you being?

Last edited:
I hardly ever listen to music. I usually spend my spare time designing robot ideas that will probably never hit concept, sleeping, playing with my dog reggie, or playing video games. I guess I dont really listen to music much is because I dont really like any of the genres out there, but one thing is sure: I HATE RAP

Hank Fletcher said:
I have no clue whether you're being ironic or not. You're kidding around, right? Either that or Vangelis has done something I haven't heard yet. What do I know? I'm continuously blown away by what people like. So how sincere are you being?

How much Vangelis have you heard? Most people only know Chariots of Fire, and in my opinion that's a bit wanky.

Ever watch Carl Sagan's "Cosmos?" The opening is Vangelis.

Video with the music (but not the opening):
https://youtube.com/watch?v=xOf4SktPDak

Look up the schematics for the Yamaha CS-80. They're actually beautiful. An art of analog design, complete with simple memory (presets that could be adjusted with pots on the inside.)

I found an PC software simulating the Yamaha CS-80, very nice. Personally i love Vangelis. One of my fav albums are City and Blade Runner. As songs i like Fields of Coral, 12 O'clock, I cant take it anymore, Albedo 0.39 and the list can continue.

Hank Fletcher said:
This is what I have from Vangelis
Aphrodite's Child: Greatest hits
Sex power
Dragon
Fait que ton rêve soit plus long que la nuit
Hpothesis
L'apocalypse des animaux
Earth
Heaven and hell
Albedo 0.39
La fete sauvage
Phos (Socrates)
Ignacio (Entends tu les chiens aboyer)
Spiral
Beauborg
The best of Vangelis
China
Short stories (Jon Anderson)
Odes (Irene Papas)
Opera sauvage
See you later
Chariots of fire
Blade runner (The new american orchestra)
Chariots of fire
Vangelis: zijn grootste successen
The friends of Mr. Caïro (Jon Anderson)
Antarctica (Japanese import)
Private collections (Jon Anderson)
Soil festivities
The best of Jon and Vangelis
Invisible connections
Mask
Rapsodies (Irene Papas)
Tra due sogni (Milva)
Direct