Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lets talk about music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mcs51mc said:
Well I'm in Yorkshire (Cleckheaton) on regular basis for work, so be prepared :eek: :) :(

I know Cleckheaton well, my wife's auntie used to live there, and we used to visit occasionally - unfortunately she died the other year :(

Other of her relations used to be in Heckmondwike as well.

My wifes maiden name was Palethorpe, who are famous for sausages up that way!.

You're certainly welcome to call for a beer! - do you drink lager or bitter? (or something more exotic).

mcs51mc said:
Do you still think I'm kidding
Which of these did you already heard?
No, I don't anymore. I'd heard "Chariots of Fire," and having re-visited his stuff that I could find on the web, I realized that I must have heard a few of his other pieces before, too. I have to admit, some of it's not altogether bad, but I think because of "Chariots" I had associated him in my mind with what I consider an unfortunate period during the 1980s of too much synthesizer in movies (Gallipoli, for example).

Like I said, I'm always surprised by what people will collectively and individually select as their favourites. Just of all the stuff mentioned and even more not mentioned, I'm surprised Vangelis not only made the list, but made the top. I guess there's going to be a bias on an electronics forum for a guy who uses a lot of eletronics, but no one even mentioned that Walter/Wendy Carlos fellow/lady who did all that Moog stuff. As for movie music, did anyone mention John Williams? You can't find a better match for Star Wars, and the guy's work is magic in itself. Despite his popularity through the movies he's scored, J.W. is without a doubt the most under-rated composer of the late 20th century in artisitic circles.

goblin_techies said:
stupid songs

Uh, was there a point to your post?

I have been listening to some of the suggestions made, and I still cant find anything I really like. Any suggestions (you dont have to of course!)
:)

Well, I'm a bit weird for music, so, listy time:
The Feeling
The Shins
Kenna
They Might Be Giants
Flight of the Conchords
Terry S. Taylor (In specific, "The Neverhood" soundtrack)
Logan Whitehurst (Very indie)
And bits of Supertramp (Breakfast in America, The Logical Song) and Yes (Starship Trooper, I've Seen All Good People)

Hank Fletcher said:
Like I said, I'm always surprised by what people will collectively and individually select as their favourites. Just of all the stuff mentioned and even more not mentioned, I'm surprised Vangelis not only made the list, but made the top. I guess there's going to be a bias on an electronics forum for a guy who uses a lot of eletronics, but no one even mentioned that Walter/Wendy Carlos fellow/lady who did all that Moog stuff. As for movie music, did anyone mention John Williams? You can't find a better match for Star Wars, and the guy's work is magic in itself. Despite his popularity through the movies he's scored, J.W. is without a doubt the most under-rated composer of the late 20th century in artisitic circles.

The Clockwork Orange soundtrack is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. JW is an obvious favorite, and usually skimmed over. Hans Zimmer is great too.

Kraftwerk
Art of Noise
Queen
Blue Man Group
Beethoven, Bach, Mozart
Juno Reactor
Aphex Twin
Cex
Muse
Carl Orff
Riccardo Muti
Bloc Party
Imogen Heap
etc.

My taste in music is very diverse. I listen to almost everything with the exception of modern POP (especially the new bands pretending to be rock-n-roll).

It just so happens I'm in a metal mood so the next 20 or so songs in my playlist include a selection from Pantera, Judas Priest, Megadeath, Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, Stratovarius, and a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back