Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED remote connection to multiple LED strips help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrumen3

Hello, so let me just establish that I know nothing about circuit boards or how light remotes interract with circuit boards through IR receivers. So I have an LED strip that I want to cut and make smaller segments and connect it all to one remote as well as make them battery powered so I dont need wires hanging around everywhere. I was toying around with it and got to thinking "Is there a way i can connect this one remote to the original circuit board as well as other ones i connect the other strands of LEDs too?" as well as "If i want to do this, I would need multiple of the same circuit board, but where can I (if I can) get the exact same thing?" More questions to come but I dont know what they are yet until i can get this process started and get info on it. Thanks?

Attachments

• IMG_3652 (1).JPG
    IMG_3652 (1).JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3651 (1).JPG
    IMG_3651 (1).JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3650 (1).JPG
    IMG_3650 (1).JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 95
Hello, so let me just establish that I know nothing about circuit boards or how light remotes interract with circuit boards through IR receivers. So I have an LED strip that I want to cut and make smaller segments and connect it all to one remote as well as make them battery powered so I dont need wires hanging around everywhere. I was toying around with it and got to thinking "Is there a way i can connect this one remote to the original circuit board as well as other ones i connect the other strands of LEDs too?" as well as "If i want to do this, I would need multiple of the same circuit board, but where can I (if I can) get the exact same thing?" More questions to come but I dont know what they are yet until i can get this process started and get info on it. Thanks?

If you want to scatter light strips around the house (not connected to each other), then, yes, you will need a circuit board for each. Owtherwise, if you cut the strip apart but still wire them to the first strip, you can get away with only one circuit board at the beginning of the grouping.

There are several possible issues and more questions but, I hope I e answered your primary question.

Also, LED strips take a lot more power than you'd think at first so batteries do not last long unless you have some big lead acid batteries or a very short strip.

The people who make and sell remote controlled LED strips sell a remote with each LED strip. They might sell you a bunch of remote receivers.
Usually an IR transmitter must be close to and pointing directly at the IR receiver.

gophert is there a way to get a circuit board for each? would it be the same board or do they all need to be different?

It depends on how much interference or mis-fires are acceptable to you. If you point the remote and three receivers are in range and you push the on/off button and and only two turn on , what do you do next? Push again and have two turn off and one turn on? Gets confusing but it is your project, you need to design it or consider the process flow diagram of how it would, could work or might fail.

gophert sorry but i feel like im wording this the wrong way to you. But what I mean is I have the one circuit board given to me with the one LED strip, is there a way for me to get multiple boards that are exactly the same? Would i have to call the producer or is every board unique?

gophert sorry but i feel like im wording this the wrong way to you. But what I mean is I have the one circuit board given to me with the one LED strip, is there a way for me to get multiple boards that are exactly the same? Would i have to call the producer or is every board unique?
They are generally the same. Like you can walk around your house with one Samsung remote control and turn on/off every Samsung TV in your house with a push of a button - only the tv that is in line-of-sight orientation with the remote. If two TVs are close together (next to each other) , they would both turn on or off. The LED controllers work the same way. No unique serial number chips.

But, each manufacturers will likely use their own rules so you can't buy generic boards from various manufacturers and expect them all to work the same way (like an Sony remote does not work on a Samsung tv.

gophert right that makes sense, now how do I find the manufacturer of the board, if possible? The board connection to the strip doesnt exactly scream professionalism to me, making me think someone just pieced the two together.

gophert right that makes sense, now how do I find the manufacturer of the board, if possible? The board connection to the strip doesnt exactly scream professionalism to me, making me think someone just pieced the two together.

You'd be better off throwing that one away and buying 6 new matching LED controllers so you know where they cam from and they all work off of the same remote.

Most cheap Chinese products from ebay or one of the other Chinese vendors say, "unbranded" and they do not know who makes them.
Some of them say the remote is RF, IR because they do not know which.

Strip Controller, RGB LED Multi Function, 12VDC
Item #: 31428 OP Sale: $4.95
Remote Controlled Mini Driver module that plugs directly into the 31365-OP RGB LED strip. Includes Features: 5 functions 1: Flash-blinking rotation of multi colors 2: Strobe- White (RGB) Fast fade up/down. 3: Fade- Slow rotation through 15 color combinations. 4: Smooth- Fast Rotation or Red, Green & Blue. 5: Static- non flash/fade of selected 1 of 16 colors.
Power: 12VDC input
Output: Max 2A/ Color
5.5/2.1mm jack for power
4in. 4 socket mate to RGB Strip
4in. cable with I/R detector (remote control Receiver)
NOTE: Cannot be connected to Single Color Strips WT: .12

These are RF and all the same address unless you change it. But they are momentary so you would want latching relays or circuits to keep the LEDs on.

Remote Control Key FOB & Receiver Board, 4 Channel
Item #: 32197 MI Sale: $8.95

4 function Remote Control Key FOB & Receiver board. Approximately 100ft. range. Pressing one of the buttons causes "Transmit" LED to light & transmission of multi bit Tri-State address code bits and data bits corresponding to the button pressed. You set the address code by jumpers on both Transmitter & the Receiver board. Received signal causes: "Valid ID" output on the receiver board and the corresponding “Data” pin to go high.
Power: Transmitter FOB:12V camera battery.
Receiver: 5VDC <5ma
Frequency: 315MHz (~250-450MHz)
Outputs: Non-Latching, TTL Compatible,
High Active (Io>3mA Current Source)
Antenna: Transmitter: 65mm telescoping.
Receiver: Requires 24cm Wire (Not supplied)
I/O Pins: 7 Pin, 0.1” Pitch Header.
NOTE: Factory default is both FOB & Receiver Address Bits are Floating (F), So all receivers will respond to all FOBs. To set unique addresses, you jumper BOTH FOB & Receiver address pins with the SAME “1”, “0” & “F” combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back