Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led question - dummy camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanN

Hi, I'm making a dummy led camera with the goal of it (the led) lasting three+ months (the more the better obviously) and was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions?

What led, resistor, and battery should I use?

And, any rough ideas how long the led would stay lit on a 12v led with a built in resistor and a 4 amp sealed lead acid battery?

Last edited:
Buy a blinking LED. One of my sons toys came with a little blinking red LED powered by a couple AA batteries. It wasn't very bright at the end but it was still blinking 6 months later, should last an incredible amount of time powerd from a couple of C or D cell alkalines.

As Sceadwian mentioned, blinking LEDs consume such a low average current, that your lead-acid may self-discharge before the LED's curent exhausts it.

Better to buy some good alkaline AAs (or better still,lithium AAs) and they will last many, many months.

Last edited:
C or D cells could last years.

I have a thing I saved out of the trash a long time ago. Its basically 5 white LEDs that blink maybe once a second. It was used in a sign that hung from the ceiling in a retail store. It used 4 D cells. It blinked for atleast a month 24/7 before it got tossed due to new seasonal signage. It was still blinking a long time after I saved it. If you use a single red blinking LED, 2 D cells could last you a long time. 3 months easy.

Flashing LEDs are fairly dull. Here is a circuit that flashes a super-bright LED and consumes very little overall current.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Which is a complete waste of money when you can just buy LED's that blink....

yeah, a security camera would normally have a red, diffused indicator type LED, no real need for a bright one. This seems to be a perfect application for a LED with a built in flasher. Then the OP also doesn't have to fit any circuitry into his camera.

Flashing lEDs are 50% on and 50% off. The flashing LED circuit is on for only about 5% of the time.
The overall consumption is MUCH less.

That's why I sell it to people who put displays in shops.

I'd opt for the ready made flashing LED as suggested. When you start connecting superbright or multiple leds to a security camera, it can suggest then, that it's a dummy camera. Real CCD cameras use small leds to indicate operation... not to attract attention.

The blinking led's I've gotten are not 50% duty cycle, it's at least 25% or less, the extra costs of the components and the time to assemble the board is a waste of time for someone that just wants a simple led blinked. And considering that 2 D cells will already last a year or more in said device a little extra efficiency is not a problem. What might be a problem is this being a fake security device, which may be outside or in a real environement where somethign could go wrong with one of the components on the board. blinking LED's are fully encapsulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back