Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led prong broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicalFlair127

One of my led prong broke off ( but there is a really small, less than a mm left...) , is there a safe way to solder it back on with out burning out the led? or is it a lost cause
much apreciated

You could possibly do it, but you'd need a fine tip soldering iron, and some 32 ga solder, which if you don't already have both costs more than a new LED, unless of course you're blowing your money on super expensive LED's.

And even if you did, mishandling the legs just the slightest will break the solder binding.

dont give up hope yet! i was able to salvage a bright blue led from an old pen i found in aparking lot. both pins were completely broken off, but i wan able to use my dremmel and a file to expose some more of the metal to solder some wire onto it. i am using a standard 25 watt well iron, and standard size rosin core solder from ratshack. just dont hold the heat to long.. its best to"cheat" when u solder this type of job and put solder directly on the iron, tho tin both connections first lightly, then all u need is to hold the 2 together and the solder flows off the iron to make an ok connection. that i used some epoxy type glue (hot goue would have worked as well, but didnt have anny, so that was the only clear glue i had) and now i have a blue led

good luck.
and if it dosnt work, it was already broken right? hehhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back