Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED output from radar detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

z1kmn

I am very new to circuit design and everything I have done up till now has been from an existing plan, What I want to do is put a radar detector on a motorcycle which is easy. The trick is to get it so the driver knows its going off.

I want to use a headphone out jack which is meant to make an audible alert. This alert will activate an led, or to be fancy a series of led's in succession (traffic light circuit maybe). These LED's will be mounted on the gauges of the bike or better yet in the helmet.

Can anyone help me out with a circuit for this project?

It is against the law to use a radar detector. You are supposed to drive no faster than the speed limit.
We will not help you break the law and maybe cause an accident.

Can the radar from police catch a little motorcycle? Usually we can barely see them but we can hear them miles away.

Radar detectors are perfectly legal here in the US. All states except Virginia (as far as I know) I do however appreciate your moral courage.

Every radar detector I've seen already has a similar LED effect built in, and an audible alarm. Couldn't you just extend them out to the helmet. It would be pretty cool to integrate the whole radar detector into the helmet, but i suspect that would compromise the integrity of the helmet, reducing its effectivenes.

Most of them have an LCD screen that gives more info than is actually needed. I want to put the detector somewhere out of the way like on top of a tank bag but it wont be very visible to the driver there, thats where this remote led comes in.

I've also thought about putting it in the helmet, it has its advantages since the detector would be up higher therefor would get a better signal there. The issue is weight. They already make products like what im looking to build but there spendy and I think it should be pretty simple to build.

As I understand the radar detector laws, we have the right to know when the government is monitoring us. As far as guns go, its our constitutional right to own them...

off topic

I guess out gov't believes that we have the right to own whatever we want (within reason) its what you do with your property that makes it illegal.

I have a permit that allows me to carry a handgun in 32 of 50 states. It does not allow me to rob liquor stores. Americans know where to draw the line.

I thought this was a place to learn about electronics not argue international politics.

PM me, I'd love to discuss socialized healthcare with someone currently using that system.

Most Americans break morals laws and shoot other people.
In Canada, most criminals are African-Americans with guns. They are shown on the TV news every night. Our jails and prisons are full of them.

Sorry z1kmn, I haven't seen a radar detector in a while. lol The radar detectors I have are old and only have a couple LEDs indicating which band, and a loud buzzer. They're perfect for your application but they don't cover all the new technologies, such as radar detector detector detector detectors.:D

It's great to be an american. You'll have to pry my gun out of my cold, dead hands. And I don't commit crimes with mine. Audioguru, "Most Americans" Really? LOL

Most Americans? I'd love to see the statistics to back up this claim.

African -Americans or African - Canadians??? Either way, it doesn't come down to laws anymore it now comes down to the bigoted nature of Canadians, or at least one Canadian.

Maybe if your citizens had a right to defend themselves with firearms it wouldn't be so popular to attack un-armed sheep of your country.

Sorry z1kmn, I haven't seen a radar detector in a while. lol The radar detectors I have are old and only have a couple LEDs indicating which band, and a loud buzzer. They're perfect for your application but they don't cover all the new technologies, such as radar detector detector detector detectors.:D

It's great to be an american. You'll have to pry my gun out of my cold, dead hands. And I don't commit crimes with mine. Audioguru, "Most Americans" Really? LOL

Thanks, I guess I should be a little more specific that I need to use a more modern detector. I really didn't expect this thread to go where it did, I just was hoping to learn about a simple circuit. Maybe I can build and attempt to modify a voice activation circuit myself, I know VOX is a pretty common circuit in alot of circles.

Americans shoot each other. Canadians don't.
Both of us do not need to defend from any other bunch of shooters.
Attack? From who? The wars are over.

Thanks, I guess I should be a little more specific that I need to use a more modern detector. I really didn't expect this thread to go where it did, I just was hoping to learn about a simple circuit. Maybe I can build and attempt to modify a voice activation circuit myself, I know VOX is a pretty common circuit in alot of circles.

What would you do with vox in this instance? Does your detector have an audio indicator at all. Perhaps you could use an audio output to control your external circuitry.

Most police radar guns now are laser or high speed capture microwave types. By the time your detector goes off and you respond to it your already measured and busted. :(

Around here the only time you will find patrols with their radars on for extended periods is because they dont really want any customers! ;)

A vox circuit can swear for you when it detects that you got caught speeding by a modern laser speed detector gun.

A vox circuit can swear for you when it detects that you got caught speeding by a modern laser speed detector gun.

Thats hilarious, this is an old debate about detectors (warning device vs hey dummy your caught) frankly I don't know enough about the tech. Many people say that the signal from the radar bounces off vehicles in front of you and can be picked up by a detector. If it saves me from one ticket it has paid for itself.

Yes my detector has an audio out via a headphone jack. Thats what I want to use to activate the LED's but I don't know how. Heck, I could even use one of those old led sound meter things like they had in the 70's that would go up and down with the music. I just don't know where to get the schematics.

If you want a international debate how about starting a new thread AG.

3v0
The American keeps the debate going in many PMs about "freedom to bear arms". He doesn't know about laser speed detectors yet.
Audioguru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back