Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED output from radar detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH now I see why the vox circuit! If you go analog.... you could amplify and buffer the output, then rectify it and use the resulting dc as an input to a comparator. use the comparator to drive your LED. simple..... I believe a dual op amp and some supporting components could do it. Or you could just use a PIC. Maybe one of the designers in the crowd can whip up a schematic for you.

Thats hilarious, this is an old debate about detectors (warning device vs hey dummy your caught) frankly I don't know enough about the tech. Many people say that the signal from the radar bounces off vehicles in front of you and can be picked up by a detector. If it saves me from one ticket it has paid for itself.
Cops in Canada have not used old radar speed detectors for years. The new laser ones allow a detector to give the announcement, "hey dummy you're caught" because the laser beam doesn't bounce and the beam is sharp and doesn't spread out. If your detector detects it then they gotcha.

You are out of date because you "don't know enough about the tech".

Maybe you can shoot the cop who catches you breaking the speed limit law.

Cops in Canada have not used old radar speed detectors for years. The new laser ones allow a detector to give the announcement, "hey dummy you're caught" because the laser beam doesn't bounce and the beam is sharp and doesn't spread out. If your detector detects it then they gotcha.

You are out of date because you "don't know enough about the tech".

Maybe you can shoot the cop who catches you breaking the speed limit law.

Your probably right that i'm out of date, I don't study radar detectors. All I know are anecdotal stories about friends driving over the crest of a hill and their detector goes off, giving them enough time to slow down before actually seeing, or being seen by the officer.
Shooting cops is generally frowned upon in most countries. To me avoidance is preferred.

OH now I see why the vox circuit! If you go analog.... you could amplify and buffer the output, then rectify it and use the resulting dc as an input to a comparator. use the comparator to drive your LED. simple..... I believe a dual op amp and some supporting components could do it. Or you could just use a PIC. Maybe one of the designers in the crowd can whip up a schematic for you.

This looks very complicated to me, my ignorance gets the best of me at the moment. I don't know how many people will be eager to post to this thread after the turn it has taken.
Thanks for the help.

Who gave you bad reputation points? Every post you made in this thread was rational and (in my opinion) you showed a lot of polite patience in tolerating what looks to be an irrational off-topic attack on you and your country.

Does your radar detector have a LED that comes on as an indicator? If so you can tap into it there, that involved opening it up but might be the easiest option.

Otherwise, if you must connect to the headphone jack, then just try attaching a LED there. It is possible that the audio output is over 2v peak which will be enough to light a LED, although you will probably need a "high intensity" LED to get better (more visible) brightness from the small current output.

Who gave you bad reputation points?
It wasn't me. I don't give good points and I don't give bad points.

... an irrational off-topic attack on you and your country.
He breaks the law by driving faster than the legal limit which is unsafe to other people.
He thinks it is normal for his people to shoot other people.

Wish I knew who gave me the rep points, show yourself! Who are you to judge me? Another Canadian? REP THIS!

Anyway, that was fun.

RB the detectors that I usually see have LCD screens that I think would be very dificult to tap into or relocate. I think what I'll do is look for a detector that has a relatively simple display with a few led's. Failing that I'll try the led directly to the headphone jack, good idea.

thanks for the support RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back