Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC

Hello,

I wish to create a rectangular panel of led's that are controlled by a home pc to turn on and off individual led's.

I've worked out pretty much what I need to get it all together except for the interface for PC - LED's. I need something that I can write a driver for to address each led on the rectangular array/matrix individually, being able to turn them on and off. This would then allow for further programming to fully control the led's to form visual parrents etc.

For example on a four led display there would be two led's on each row:
#LED# #LED#
#LED# #LED#

What kind of device would allow me to plugin the inputs from the basic pcb (with a matrix of leds setup on it) and then control the switching on/off of the led's via a computer - through maybe something like rs232 or maybe even usb?

I think the easiest to interface is the parallel port. And at 8 bits, you could easily set it up to control 2^8 LED's. You just interface then decode the address into LED matrix address.

there are MANY parallel tutorials on the web...epanorama.net (the best!)

good luck,
bd

LED Matrix - solution

The serial port is easier to read/write from BASIC programs - but a bit slower. I built a circuit based on the 6402 UART (ancient but easy to use), it isn't hard to multiplex up from it's 8 bit output - I have 16 outputs and 8 inputs (intended for rover control).
The beauty of RS232 is that all my computers have a port - even my old Casio pocket computer 8)
Drop us a note (click on PM below) if you want the circuit - several ICs involved :!:

I suggest for experimentation purpose use your parallel port (simplest to work). Connect 16 LEDs in 4 x 4 matrix form and you'll have 8 wires to connect to the parallel port. Now connect all these 8 wires to your Data port of LPT ie. Pin No 2 to 9 (D0-D7 in sequence) through 330R resistor in each line. Now to turn on any LED make a partiular column at logic 1 and the particular raw at logic 0. P.S. This 1 and 0 logic will depend how you connected your LEDs i.e. where the anode and cathode are connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back