Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

warden243

I am what you would call an extream newbie when it comes to electronic circuits.But what i am trying to do is build a very bright outdoor light using led's.
this light will have a dark/light switch on it, a 12 volt gel cell battery and hopefully recharge using a solar panel. i can't seem to find a easy to build circuit. any help would be greatly appreciated.. The light purpose is for my wife
i need to install a light at the end of the drive way but don't want to run power that far.. Thanks...

Well, it would be two seperate circuits. One for the solar charger and one will turn the leds on when its dark.

Google "Dark detecting circuit" or do a search here, there are 100's on the internet. Here is a super simple one I posted here a while back. Its simple and I don't know if it would be the best choice for your application as it is pretty crude. . Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories - A dark detecting circuit for your jack-o'-lantern

How many leds are you going to light? I think you will need a large solar panel to keep ahead of having a few small leds on all night. Those ready made solar garden lights only stay on part of the night, even with full sun all day. Will this be an issue?

Last edited:
no
i don't think it would be an issuse as long as it stays on 5 or 6 hours.
i was thinking of 5-10 super bright led's. Thank you for your time i found a few circuits search for the dark activated switch

LED Lamp
Bulb Size:T-1 3/4; LED Color:Red/Green; Luminous Intensity:25µcd; Viewing Angle:50°; Forward Current:10mA

Is this a Bright LED ? what is ucd

Standard 5mm LED used mainly as a panel indicator.

µcd is micro candela, a measurement of light. That one would be rather dim.

What you need is Luxeon 1W or 3W units, or a huge number of 10,000 mcd (millicd) 5mm.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

you need to remember you need double the watt hours that you want to deliver to the LED available from the solar panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back