Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Here is the forst of my many project Ideas.

I have an 86 Mr2 that keeps breaking bulb fillaments due to extreme vibration. I am wanting to convert almost all of my bulb based lights to an LED format.

Tail lights
My Running / Break lights.
Size (Measuring today or tomorrow)
The lights would have to be a 2phase "dim" for running lights and Bright for break application.

Blinkers Front and rear.
Yellow Blinkers but in LED!

Reverse lights
LED reverse lights

Now a little kick to this project.
I am a Volunteer firefighter so I am needing to outfit my car with flashing lights.I like the Idea of just having my reverse and break lights flash. mabey have the front blinkers flash as well. The flashing would have to alternate (ex. LL, RR, LL, RR, LR, LR) something like that L=left, R=Right.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Remember I have a very basic knowledge of circuitry design and application so please be patient with me as I do desire to learn as much as possible.

Much thanks R.boyle

If you do a search here or on the net, there are alot of taillight mod circuits.
Keep in mind if you remove all the old filiment type bulbs, and replace everything with LEDs, your stock mechanical turnsignal flashers likly won't work. The LEDs probably won't draw enough current to make them flash. You will need to add a circuit to do the blinking.

The dimming is usually done with PWM. But could be done other ways (resistors, changing the amount of LEDs lit)

The easiest way to add a warning light feature would be to use a micro controller. But I relize that might be more then you want to bite off right now.

There are a couple topics on here about doing a alternating double flash without a micro. I'll see if I can find them.

I would make sure whatever you do for the back emergency flashers is overridden when you step on the brakes. You'll still need functioning brakelights in emergency mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back