Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

led help????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazbalz

how do i a switch and a blue and red led, so tht when the switch is turned on the blue led comes on and the red led is off and when the switch is turn off the red led come on and the blue goes off???

probs simple but not a clue
help me

We need some more information in order to help you.
What is the source of power that you are switching and what kind of switch is it?

the power source is a car battery and the switch is a normal toggle switch you get with a cold cathode set.

Does the switch have three terminals or only two?

it only has two to i need a 3 way? or is it possible to do it with a 2 way?
Only by adding external components like a transistor or relay.

One other possibility: what are the part numbers of the two LEDs you are planning to use?

Last edited:
no idea lol not much help am i lol. i got a red and blue led and a blue neon and a 2 way rocker switch and i know how to wire it up so when the neon is on the blue led lights up just dont know how to wire it up so tht when the neon is off the red led lights up and the blue led dont

Try this. This relies on the fact that Red and Blue LEDs do not have the same forward voltage. Since I can't remember which has the higher forward drop, you will have to try it both ways.

Attachments

• RedBlue.jpg
    RedBlue.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
the single pole had only 2 connects just like the rocker switch i already have just the switch bit looks different

Did you move the switch so that it is in-series with the other LED?

Last edited:
the single pole had only 2 connects just like the rocker switch i already have just the switch bit looks different

I said "single pole, double throw" It has 3 connections, 1 input and two output. Use 1 output for the blue led and the other output for the red one.

Throw that switch away and buy a spdt(single pole double throw)switch and wire it as my schematic shows....its no good me giving you a schematic for using that switch you have because there is no need to make things complicated.... get a single pole double throw switch, two 470 ohm resistors ,your two leds and the schematic is uploaded for you .....do try not to be too scared.......

Attachments

• switched leds.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 124
BrownOut,
That won't work, when the switch is off both LEDs will light.

Mike,
You got it backwards, reds have a lower voltage drop than blues.

The solution is to make it so the red has a higher voltage drop, whether it be by using a potential divider of a zener. The zener option is better.

Another option is to use a transistor and a pull-up resistor with the switch pulling it down to turn it off.

Attachments

• RB LED.GIF
    RB LED.GIF
    5.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Thanks for the correction, Hero, but you mis-spelled BrownOut HEH!

Last edited:
I've corrected my spelling.

how do i a switch and a blue and red led, so tht when the switch is turned on the blue led comes on and the red led is off and when the switch is turn off the red led come on and the blue goes off???

probs simple but not a clue
help me

heres the schematic again with the switch shown operated in both possible positions with the respectve leds shown that will be on(or off).....do not be scared of it.....thats one way to use his existing switch i suppose but look at all the extra parts invoved ...im sure as long as bazbalz sees the leds light up when he operates his brand new spdt(single pole double throw)switch thats all that matters -let ther be lightssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
dont be scared of the spdt switch!!!!

Attachments

• LED CIRCUIT 2.pdf
    5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back