Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED glows when hand close to breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeNC

Howdy,

I've got a 16F876a on a breadboard, and working through Nigel's tutorials. So far so good, first couple work fine. Kinda strange, when my hand gets within about 6 inches of the breadboard one of the LEDs starts to glow (the one that the switch controls). At first I thought it might of been the Pickit2 powering the circuit and maybe the BB too close to the laptop but now i'm running it through a wall-wart and a 7805 regulator.

I'm sure it's something stupid.

thanks gents!

My guess would be that you don't have a pullup on your switch.

Mike.

Thanks for the reply Pommie: I've got (2) 4.7K resistors in series (cause i don't have a 10K ) on the switch.

Okay a little disclaimer here... I recycled the switch from another PCB i had laying around. Ended up using a dremel cut a nice square and keep all four switches together in one piece. It's probably 2x2 inches. Soldered wires on the back, used a multi-meter to make sure they are isolated from each other and no shorts. Looking closely at it, I noticed a ground plane around this chunk of the PCB, could it be acting as a antennae? I'll swap out the switch tonight with something else and check that.

Hand near board...some thing different...
This happens when some pin is not connected. Try touching +5Volts with one hand and with the other touch every pin, one at a time. If that does not work try touching ground and every pin.
OR
Use a high value resistor (100k, 1M), pull up or down every pin untill you find the notconnected pin.

I guess this is what they mean by don't leave pins "floating"? Is it possible to set the TRIS registers on each port/pin that you don't need?

thanks.

i had a similar problem. It was a static build up and it seems that I was emitted electrostatic force(terminology could be wrong). Anyways, ground yourself. What I did was took my shoes off, and basically touched the floor (hardwood). Led stopped glowing for me.

Maybe thats what your issue is ?

That seems like a feature to me. You now have a proximity sensor.

Good work, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back