Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Driver - TLC59116 - Blinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=Hulk=-

Hello

I have a question about the TLC59116 LED driver.

It's a 16 channel, RGBA optimized driver (4 groups consisting of 4 outputs each). You can adjust the brightness (PWM) individually for every of the 16 outputs, or use a general register to adjust them all at once.

BUT, I don't understand one thing. The blinking, could it be adjusted only for a whole group (all 4 outputs of a group blink or none of them blink), or can I make each of the 16 outputs blinking individually?

Thank you
(Sorry for my bad english)

Last edited:
If I can respond correctly after a quick scan of the data sheet, it looks like individual LEDs can be blinked as follows:
you can only set a group to blink in the GRPPWM reigister, however, in the LED output driver state register, you can set individual LEDs to follow the blink/brightness command (state 11) or stay full brightness (state 01) or just dimmed and not blinking (state 10). So by setting three LEDs to state 01 or state 10, and setting the 4th LED to blink/dim state (state 11), you can cause just the one LED to blink.

Thanks for your answer.

You are probably right :). That's a good news, because I will use RGB leds that only need 3 outputs, it would have been annoying not to use the 4th output of each group, instead I will use the 16 (15) outputs to drive 5 RGB LEDs.

I have another question.
I don't understand this:
Ii Input/output leakage SCL, SDA, A0, A1, A2, A3, RESET VI = VCC or GND MAX: ±0.3 μA

(Page 6)
Does it mean that there should not be more than 0.3 μA on the A0, A1, A2, A3, RESET inputs? (Can't be true :D )

I thought that I could connect A0, A1, A2, A3, RESET directly (without resistor) to the ground or Vcc????

Last edited:
no, what that means is that if you tie the pin to vcc or ground, the leakage current will be 0.3uA max (could be less). This is usually ignored, however (0.3uA ain't much). If you tie it to VCC, the leakage will be +0.3uA (into the device), and if you tie it to ground, it will be -0.3uA (out of the device). This is used when you drive the pins with a gate, you have to know how much current the input leaks so you can design your driver correctly. If you have a driver that only drives 10uA (what? they typically source/sink 10-20mA) and try to tie 40 devices together (40 x 0.3uA = 12uA), you won't be able to drive them all the way to the rails. That is why you see a limit of 10 TTL loads on a TTL driver, because of the input leakage vs output driver capability.

You may also need this number if you are calculating how much power your system needs. Like I said, 0.3uA ain't much, so it's usually ignored. Takes a lot of them to add up to even 1mA. However, if you are using a voltage reference device that sources a very low amount of current, you need to add your leakages accordingly.

It's like on opamp designs, everyone assumes the current in the feedback resistor will be the same as through the input resistor, but it will differ by the pin leakage current (see the opamp spec sheet). But it is usually so low compared to the feedback current, you just ignore it (but know it's there), especially if you're using 1% resistors, your output will change more by resistor difference than leakage current difference.

Last edited:
It's one of the rare (with the NXP PCA9622, but it needs external resistor for each LED output), that supports a power dissipation higher than 1W. All the others I found were limited to 400mW or limited to I²C 400khz.

But it's an expensive one (in Europe at least). :D

Yesterday I found the NXP PCA9955, it's pin compatible with the TLC59116 (but not register compatible). It seems to have the same functionalities. (Haven't checked out the details yet)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back