Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED door handle project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray070390

Hi people, I wanted to know if anyone would help me with a small project. Im currently not very experienced in electronics but thinking of going into that area. My idea is that I want to put LED's under my doorhandles on my car but I want them to trigger when the unlock button is pressed on the remote. I'm thinking it would need some sort of relay that provides a 12v supply to the LED's when the alarm is triggerd to unlock by the remote. Also the circuit would need a timer that would turn the LED's off after 60secs or so. I've seen it on some latest BMW's and thought it would be a good project. Hope you can help, kind Regards Graham

gray070390 said:
Hi people, I wanted to know if anyone would help me with a small project. Im currently not very experienced in electronics but thinking of going into that area. My idea is that I want to put LED's under my doorhandles on my car but I want them to trigger when the unlock button is pressed on the remote. I'm thinking it would need some sort of relay that provides a 12v supply to the LED's when the alarm is triggerd to unlock by the remote. Also the circuit would need a timer that would turn the LED's off after 60secs or so. I've seen it on some latest BMW's and thought it would be a good project. Hope you can help, kind Regards Graham

hi Graham,
As the timing of the 60secs is not going to be critical I would suggest the following.

Connect a diode from the unlock mechanism supply input line to a large value capacitor. When the unlock is energised the capacitor will get charged upto near 12v.
Across the capacitor connect a resistor and LED in series, the LED will be lit while the capacitor discharges. The LED intensity will fall off as the cap discharges.
If thats a problem use a small transistor connected as a constant current source in the LED drive circuit.

Do you follow this OK?

Thanks for the response Eric, I was testing some capacitors yesterday in small circuits with an LED and a 6v power supply but couldn't get the capacitor to charge. Maybe they weren't the best capacitors. Any ideas what sort of capacitor I would need? Also the unlock pulse only energises 12v for roughly 1.5secs, so would this be enough time to charge the capacitor to power the Led's for 10 - 60 secs? Thanks, Kind Regards Graham

Something like this will work. You'll have to experiment a little with the capacitor value (And OR the 470K) to get the timing right. As for the FET; one that can handle the total LED current is all that is needed. You can add more LEDs in series/parallel depending on LED voltage drop:

Attachments

• Fade.GIF
    Fade.GIF
    3.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
gray070390 said:
Thanks for the response Eric, I was testing some capacitors yesterday in small circuits with an LED and a 6v power supply but couldn't get the capacitor to charge. Maybe they weren't the best capacitors. Any ideas what sort of capacitor I would need? Also the unlock pulse only energises 12v for roughly 1.5secs, so would this be enough time to charge the capacitor to power the Led's for 10 - 60 secs? Thanks, Kind Regards Graham

hi,
The circuit 'kchriste' has posted would be a good choice, as he says, just tweak the RC to get the on time you want.

A N MOSFET, a 2N7000 would be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back