Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED circuit; do I need a resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunil Mansoor

First of all, I have 0 electrical knowledge. Got some basics from YouTube :)
The led I wanna use needs 3 - 3.6v and 350mA.
2EB15D67-662F-4282-880E-BF94D0C41BF7.jpeg

I am planning to use 3 AAA batteries (1.5v x 3 = 4.5v), because that’s the battery case size that fits into the space.
I have calculated the resistance (hopefully correctly)
R = (4.5v - 3.5v) / 0.35 = 2.85 ohm

Q1. The resistance needed seems very small to all the examples I’ve come across. Do I need a resistor? If so, is there anything else I need to know to pick the correct resistor?

Q2. I’ve noticed different AAAs have different mAh. What does it mean and how does it relate to the led’s 350mA current requirement?

The LED may have any value in the specified range. Your calculation method is correct but you should repeat the calculation with the LED forward voltage = 3.0V as well. Then use the largest resistance of the two calculated extremes.

AAA batteries are much smaller than the AA battery shown so they will show the LED dimming for an hour until the the voltage is too low to light them.
Also, mAh is usually used for rechargeable batteries and when the voltage has dropped to only 0.8V per cell which is less than the LED needs.

It is not good practice to run components at their maximum rated current if you want them to have a long and happy life. I'd suggest 300mA (or less) for that LED. The brightness difference won't be really noticeable by eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back