Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Blinker for a Motorcycle (12V or 6V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEROTOCORE

Let me start by assuring any reader, I have little to no idea of what I am doing.

What I want to do is create blinkers for my motorcycle. I want the blinkers to be in a single line (or possible double) and most likely they will be white. The circuitry that I need help with is two fold.
One, I want the whole set of LED's to blink all at once, and the amount of time the LED's spend on or off may need to be adjustable or set at a certain rate.
Second, I want to then make the LED's "chase" each other from one side to the other. However, rather than simply have the first LED go on and off followed by the next and by the next, I want the first LED to turn on and then the next and the next (and so on), BUT the LED that first goes on (and each that follows) must STAY ON till all are lit, at which time they will then go off.

I am not sure of what LED's to use yet; should I go for real high MCD rated LED or not too high considering there will be many in a line. Then, I am totally clueless when it comes to the electronics. I tried to make a simple blinking LED with a 555, but I almost fused the 9V battery to my hand (talk about hot).

SO, any help will be MUCH APPRECIATED.

ZEROTOCORE

search for posts by me.

i have asked several questions on 555 circuits, and they should be able to guide you. after looking at those if you have specific questions feel free to ask me.

also, in my project the LEDs chased, but if you want them to stay on then instead of turning on the led with the 4017 output you need to turn on a transistor that turns on the LED so it will stay on until it resets.

look thought the info on 555s and 4017s and let us know where you are confused.

david

PS, what happened with the battery??

And the Search Goes On

I looked at most of the chats that you began and I have a couple more simple questions. I think the first part of the project would be to figure out how many LED's to use and then how to make them blink. I haven't the slightest idea of what a basic diagram would look like (for making an led (or bunch of them) blink using a 555 timer), because the one I used did not work; most likely do to my ignorance. One major problem I have is not knowing the directions that everything should go in. In other words, how do I know which way the resistors, capacitors, LED...etc should be placed.

If you have, or know of a place where I can find, a good circuit diagram for this, I think that, combined with the knowledge of how to place the components, would be mighty helpful.

zerotocore

p.s. the battery nearly became lodged in my wall (instinctual reaction i guess). I remember when I was young I received one of those toys where one could make a hundred or more different projects. I hooked up one of the projects soo wrong (it was the first one i did), that my cousin had to run out of the house with the battery and throw it into the yard because it was beginning to melt. His hand still hurts and I will never hear the end of it. :oops:

I have a LED blinker for my bike that really gets attention. After doing a little research I learned that the circuit momentarily (milliseconds) pulsed the LEDs at a higher voltage than they actually would run at. If done right it doesn't ruin the LEDs. I just wanted to call this to your attention to this in case you want to incorporate it in to your work.

Thanks for the info. about the high voltage. Perhaps you can help me, or anyone out there, with the question's I am asking. Do you have or know of a blinking LED diagram I could obtain and do you know about the proper placement of electronic parts (like resistors, LED's, capacitors...etc). I appreciate any help. Thanks

zerotocore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back