Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

learning PIC assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

I do I work with more than 8-bit numbers in assembly. e.g i want to read and manipulate a 10-bit ADC result.
I know variable type int will hide everything for me in C.

I do I work with more than 8-bit numbers in assembly. e.g i want to read and manipulate a 10-bit ADC result.
I know variable type int will hide everything for me in C.

hi t,
PICList on the web has lots of 16 and 32 bit Math subr also look thru Nigels tutorials, link near my signature.

Any specific maths subr that you require.?:)

Last edited:
hi t,
PICList on the web has lots of 16 and 32 bit Math subr also look thru Nigels tutorials, link near my signature.

Any specific maths subr that you require.?:)

i'm just going thru Nigels tutorials, i'll pop back if i can't get something clearly

I can see how to initialize and make the ADC run( and reading the result)

i.e
Code:
Read_ADC
    		          bsf	ADCON0, GO_DONE		;initiate conversion
    		          btfsc   ADCON0, GO_DONE
    		          goto    $-1			;wait for ADC to finish

movf    ADRESH,W
    		          andlw   0x03
    		          movwf   NumH
    		          BANKSEL ADRESL
    		          movf    ADRESL,W
    		          BANKSEL	ADRESH
		          movwf	NumL			;return result in NumL and NumH
		          return

now i want work out the input voltage
Code:
v_in = v_ref x adc/1023

I can see how to initialize and make the ADC run( and reading the result)

v_in = v_ref x adc/1023[/CODE]

Assuming a 5Vref and say 2.5Vinput

V = 5 * [512/1023] = 5 * 0.5 = 2.5V

So do the 512/1023 part first, as you need to avoid decimals, multiply the 512 by say 100.
This gives 51200/1023, which can be done with unsigned integer math subr, yields 50 as a integer result.

Now multiply this result by 5 [Vref] to give 250

When you display the result, insert a decimal point between the 2 and 5, so you display 2.50V.

If you require a higher resolution, multiply the 512 by 1000.

OK.?:)

Last edited:
Assuming a 5Vref and say 2.5Vinput

V = 5 * [512/1023] = 5 * 0.5 = 2.5V

So do the 512/1023 part first, as you need to avoid decimals, multiply the 512 by say 100.
This gives 51200/1023, which can be done with unsigned integer math subr, yields 50 as a integer result.

Now multiply this result by 5 [Vref] to give 250

When you display the result, insert a decimal point between the 2 and 5, so you display 2.50V.

If you require a higher resolution, multiply the 512 by 1000.

OK.?:)

the procedure you are telling is very clear with one exception(how do i insert the decimal?).
again i couldn't grasp the divide and multiply subroutines in PIClist.

Last edited:
You would know the decimal place, eric is assuming you are using some kind of display to output the data, is that whats getting you confused? It would be a visual DP, not in the actual code.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back