Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learning "C"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixman

Can someone please help me to learn "C".
I am looking for tutorials and and books that will help me get started.
I have learnt assemble but would like to learn "C".

Thanks
David

Last edited:
Do you know any other high level programming languages? Are you only interested in learning C for microcontrollers?

In reality it is more important to learn a few basic things like logic, number representation etc first, then tackle a programming language.

You could start with a tutorial like this one: https://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson1.html - perhaps someone else here knows of a better one.

Do you know any other languages? If you already know assembly and, assuming you want to program pics, you have MPLAB setup then it is a lot easier.

Google will find lots of C tutorials. clicky.

Mike.

C is really quite simple. The only commands are, if, while, do-until, for, return, switch-case, break, continue and goto(to be avoided). How hard can it be to learn what 8 things do. However, if you haven't programmed before then learning program flow is tricky. Hence why it's important that you answer the question, already asked above, do you know any other languages?

Mike.

No i do not.
i have found 3 books
C for dummies
C what happens
The C book

Do you think i should start with one of these books.

I would choose a book which recomends a, preferably free, compiler and that has worked examples. You are probably best learning the language on a PC and then switch to uControllers. A search throws up **broken link removed** which is a free compiler with a tutorial.

Mike.

I would echo Pommie's recommendation of lcc. It's a very good compiler but without any added bloat that could send you off in strange directions.

I have downloaded "The C book" and looked at lcc. I will download the comiler.
I have the C++ dev compiler.

Just remember that C++ in the windows platform is a world away from C/C++ on embedded systems... I always feel that the MFC library makes for an arduous journey..

It's easier to download turbo C++ 3 ( free download ) and run in a dos box.... When I was in the early stages of C/C++ I used borland C++ 4.5 , Dos and windows (free download ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back