Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LDO heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I suggested a few posts ago, the regulator doesn't do much for you. Here is a sim of a "white" 3.2V LED discharging a battery. The Battery voltage is the X-axis. Notice the current I(D1). The battery discharge current goes to ~zero naturally when the battery reaches ~2.4V. The LED will be visibly bright while the LED power is between 50mW and ~20mW.

100's of millions of solar powered garden lights cannot be wrong... ;)

Attachments

• Yard.jpg
    Yard.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 117
At least I will have a stable voltage supply to the leds
No, you won't. Read Mike's explanation in post #19 carefully.
And yes, you can place the via as shown.

How can I apply such a voltage driven shutdown? Quote from "http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/process_mails/arata_discutia/134698/LDO_with_low-voltage_cutoff.html":

Some regulators have shutdown pins. Shutting down the regulator when
Vout OR Vin got too low would work.

This may be able to be just 2 x r plus a bipolar.
Almost certainly precise enough for this task.
Check at desired temperature extremes.
3 small components.

Or a power supply monitor IC driving shutdown.
Possibly 1 small (3 pin) device.

Or 2 x R and a TLV431 or TL431. Or (extra points) a bipolar and 2 r's
connected to shut down when Vdropout got too low. (Noting that
Vdropout MAY increase in dropout with some ICs).

For a regulator with no disable a preceding bipolar or FEt with
appropriate drive. Boy count getting up BUT one bipolar and 2 x R may
suffice.

You missed my point. You don't need an automatic cutoff. It happens automatically as the battery discharges below a voltage where it stops drawing current...

What if the battery discharges too often below the current drawing level, could it be damaged? Bear in mind, that I have three batteries in series, so one battery may fall down to that level, but the other two must not - so the battery circuit still will be closed and current will flow through the discharged battery. I wanted to prevent such an occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back