Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I'll keep this quick and to the point. I need to make a wireless tracking transmitter and receiver that uses a graphic LCD on the receiver to tell where the transmitter is. Like... there are crosshairs in the middle on the LCD screen, which is where the receiver is of course, and a dot indicating the position of the transmitter. It should be capable of about 100 ft. (or hopefully more) of range. How could I do this?

You can use a sensor array to find the position. My suggestion would be to read up on "beamforming." Once you have the system identifying the position, direction, etc -- I would guess getting it onto the display would actually be the easy part. If you did it with an array of ultrasonic sensors, this might be easy to do. Sound travels about 343 m/s in air so you can measure the difference in arrival time at your sensors with a micro. One issue with using sound is 1) might not go far enough and 2) you get multiple returns for each pulse from your transmitter (hits walls, cars, etc).

well, you could do this a bit different.
make the receiver transmite a pulse and when the transmitter hears the sound it generates another sound. if you use a microcontroller, than you cand adjust it easily. all you will need to find out is how much time it takes the transmitter to send its reply pulse after hearing the sound from the transmitter.
as for the receiver, well you will need 2 ultrasonic receivers placed at some distance, so that you could triangulate.

I don't have any experience in programming or much of anything else really. :? So even though I (for the most part) know what you're talking about, I still don't really know where to start on building this. However, your info still actually helps me a lot. Thanks. :) I'll be researching that now. If you can give me some websites that could help me in any of this, it would be greatly appreciated. 8) Thanks again.

Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back