Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD screen display

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustin87r

Hello,

I have a GPS. Recently i dropped a glass of medical alcohol on it. I took it apart to let the alcohol dry. When i powered it on, i noticed some dark stains behind the screen. The colors are OK , but that area is like lacking contrast, the image is lesss visible, especially when it shows white background... What happened?

Attachments

• 100_2621.JPG
    100_2621.JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 338
Ok. Is there a possibility to get the alcohol out of there? Maybe if i heat a little the screen with a hair dryer?

The alcohol should have evaporated anyway, it's the residue left behind that's the problem - you would need to disassemble the display and clean it - but I suspect that's VERY likely to destroy it.

What was your medicinal alcohol mixed with? Usually take mine with orange juice... :) Seriously though, have you checked underneath the LCD? There is usually several layers of stuff, for the back-lighting, diffuser, reflector, filter... Maybe your damage isn't the LCD itself, but one of the lighting elements underneath. I have taken a few apart, broken, out of curiosity, LCD projector idea, or different back-light scheme, and the layers are usually just stacked up and held in place with metal tabs.

I like to drink it on the rocks :)))) Well, i didn't dismantle it, but i can see a protective white sheet , like polyethylene bags. Probably that layer is a reflective one and the alcohol dissolved he glue. I don't know, i'm just guessing...

Sometimes the very thin polarizing sheet is damaged by chemicals. I have replaced them with some from Edmund Scientific. Back in the day when I could grind odd-shaped watch crystals and had access to meturgical grinders and diamond saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back