Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Read/Write operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab99407

I am looking help to understand datasheet of 16*2 LCD. Please look at this datasheet **broken link removed**

Page 3 Timing char, I do not understand read and write operation there are three control signals RS, R/W and E

if I want to send one byte to LCD display How these three signals work for read and write operations ?

I am looking help to understand datasheet of 16*2 LCD. Please look at this datasheet **broken link removed**

Page 3 Timing char, I do not understand read and write operation there are three control signals RS, R/W and E

if I want to send one byte to LCD display How these three signals work for read and write operations ?

The three signals work just as in the diagram, but remember that RS (Register Select) will determine whether what is read or written is a register or data.

Look at the table on Page 6. See the state of RS and R/W for different actions?

Are you using a picaxe controller?? How many pins? are you connecting 2 control and 4 data?

The normal way with the picaxe is serially using an LCD backpack
No, I had to find out how we send data to the LCD So i looked at the datasheet But I do not understand what should I do if I want to send one byte data to LCD

Table can help me to understand read and write operation 16*2 LCD

Control signalsWrite operationRead Operation
RS??
RW??
E??

No, I had to find out how we send data to the LCD So i looked at the datasheet But I do not understand what should I do if I want to send one byte data to LCD

I think you need a little better understanding of what sending a byte of data to the controller means. The Table on page 6, which I referenced, explains it - but you may not know enough background to understand that.

Two papers were suggested in a previous post: They are linked below. Reading through those may help.

so I this is sequence to write command or data to lcd
/*LCD 8 bit example
rs => Register Select [Command : Data]
0 => Command
1 => Data Set RS high for Data.
rw => Read/Write [Write : Read]
0 => Write
1 => Read
en => Enable signal [High to Low]

That is the right sequence but the display has to be properly initialized as explained in the datasheet or it won't do anything.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back