Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

hu_man

I have a LCD from years gone by it has no data sheet and few markings and was wondering if anyone could help me to Identify it and get the hook up.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/hu_man1/th_CIMG0001.jpg
Thanks,
Hugh

Last edited:
Go to the advanced thread options you should be able to post the image directly to this website rather than the link which is malformed (you forgot the [/img] tag)

It looks like a character display, but that image is so small it's like looking at something 12 inches across from 20 feet away. Post some real pictures, of both sides.

Last edited:
I am hoping it does work as I bought it new several years ago I can not remember anything about it I do think it is a charactor display. I can not find any info with the two ten pin connectors. Thanks for the Modern Device link as they had several things I needed. Is there any way to use a usb port and a pic driver to stimulate this lcd? could I use low voltage and find the Vs and Gnd? I hate to screw it up but it is of no use without the specs.
Thanks all,
Hugh

10 pin connectors are relativity common for Hitachi line displays. Perhaps it's two separate interfaces? From the images you posted it very much looks like it's two separate controllers on the same LCD

Last edited:
Sceadwian I just got a email from Dean and he is in agreement that it is a standard format using two input controllers.
"Practically all LCDs of these types use either the original HD44780 controller or compatible clones, and that's what most LCD driver libraries are designed to work with. The display you've given seems to be a 4x32 or so alphanumeric display using dual controllers. These are fundamentally the same as the other smaller LCD display, but use two independent controllers to control half the display each. Most libraries aren't designed to work with them out of the box, but can be modified to suit."
Thanks for all the help from everyone that contributed it has been very helpful as I am old and my brain acts even older ;) I will get it little by little.
Now I have to figure out how to addapt this to my project.
Hugh

Should give you some practice writing code, you'll have to do a lot of little extra things to control that as opposed to a single display. Good luck. If it proves to be too much of a hassle for you you can buy 20x4 displays pretty cheap and those use a single controller. Atomsoft has some threads in the forums here, he just recently got a line display working with a nice blue backlight, adds a lot of snazz =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back