LCD for basic stamp BS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

potoole64

I would like to buy an LCD for my basic stamp BS2 (PIC16C57C). Parallax has 16 x 2 LCD displays for such usage for about $30. I've seen other LCDs for less money, but I'm not sure if they will work with my BS2. Will those cheaper kinds work for a BS2? What should I look for when getting an LCD?

THANKS

I believe Parallax's LCDs are serial units. Being serial makes them very easy to use, but adds cost.

If you don't mind using a few more pins and writing your own software, a standard 44780 LCD can easily be interfaced to a BS2. I'm not sure if the Stamps have LCD software "built-in" to the BASIC, but a non-serial LCD would not work with it if it exists. It's not terribly difficult to write your own code to do it though.

EDIT: If you don't mind adding an additional chip, you can **broken link removed** (or a shift register) and use only two of the BS2's pins instead of the six pins it takes normally to control an LCD.

What should I look for when getting an LCD?
Be sure it has a 44780 compatible controller (it's an industry standard - very common). I buy these LCDs from DipMicro. They're nice displays for the price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…