Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD for basic stamp BS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

potoole64

I would like to buy an LCD for my basic stamp BS2 (PIC16C57C). Parallax has 16 x 2 LCD displays for such usage for about $30. I've seen other LCDs for less money, but I'm not sure if they will work with my BS2. Will those cheaper kinds work for a BS2? What should I look for when getting an LCD?

I would like to buy an LCD for my basic stamp BS2 (PIC16C57C). Parallax has 16 x 2 LCD displays for such usage for about $30. I've seen other LCDs for less money, but I'm not sure if they will work with my BS2. Will those cheaper kinds work for a BS2?
I believe Parallax's LCDs are serial units. Being serial makes them very easy to use, but adds cost.

If you don't mind using a few more pins and writing your own software, a standard 44780 LCD can easily be interfaced to a BS2. I'm not sure if the Stamps have LCD software "built-in" to the BASIC, but a non-serial LCD would not work with it if it exists. It's not terribly difficult to write your own code to do it though. :p

EDIT: If you don't mind adding an additional chip, you can **broken link removed** (or a shift register) and use only two of the BS2's pins instead of the six pins it takes normally to control an LCD.

What should I look for when getting an LCD?
Be sure it has a 44780 compatible controller (it's an industry standard - very common). I buy these LCDs from DipMicro. They're nice displays for the price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back