Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD External Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh baberjaved..we meet again...

I think you mean 'S1D13305', its a '1', not an I....its the new part numbering system from epson...I believe that it is just a newer version of the SED1335, so I would say the datasheets would probably be identical.

https://www.crystalfontz.com/products/320240c/Epson_S1D13305.pdf

Or, just look for SED1335 on google, you'll get plenty of results, hook up diagrams, datasheets, forum posts etc..

Also, if you search for the LCD's part number for the pinout, that would be useful. Are you planning to plug this into your PC via your parallel port? or using a microcontroller? Both can be done fairly easily with that controller chip.

Regards,

Blueteeth

Can you explain me how to make the connections of this LCD (S1d13305) to a microcontroller? What do I do with the VO, Vee and DISPOFF pins? Are they optional?

Hey, sorry, sort of forgot about this thread.

So you've got a new LCD huh? one with a built-in controller? Sweet, makes life easier.

Ahh now, the VO and VEE pins. VEE, just to confuse things, when coming from an LCD module (uie: with a controller on it) is usually a negative supply from the on board voltage converter. And VO is the voltage for the LCD. Soooo I *think* generally you just conect a pot, with one lug to +5V, one to VEEE and the wiper to VO. That allows you to control the contrast.

'DISPOFF', I have never seen on a LCD module. It is usually handled 'on-board' by the SED itself...or just tied high. In either case, it is pretty much a reset that is used in the power up sequence. You use it to...wlel...turn the display on and off :D Its usually optional, just tie it low or high and see what happens.

If you provide a part number for the LCD module itself, I will try my best to find the datasheet. I'm not talking about the glass, or the controller chip, I'm talking about your new LCD with its tidy little S1D13305.

Blueteeth

Righty,

Finally found the datasheet..as the one on their site just makes my adobe pdf reader cry.

Well, looking at that I can say this:

For testing connect 'DISPOFF' to +5V via a 10K resistor. You may use this pin later if you want to allow your microcontroller to turn the display off.

Connect a 10K trimmer potentiometer from VEE (VLCD on the datasheet, pin 16) to GND (VSS). The wiper form this trimmer connects to 'VO' (pin 17). You could try to power up the LCD module with 5v, without any lines connected, and measure the voltage of VLCD. It should be -25V or around there. Turn the trimmer pot until its wiper is about -18V. Thats the best contrast setting apparently.

Now, as for the main interface to a microcontroller, see here:

**broken link removed**

for connecting to your PC's parallel port for testing:
**broken link removed**

I assume you have the s1d13305 datasheet? That is all you need to get a micro displaying stuff. Data7-0, /Rd, /Wr, /Cs, /A0 are standard. And perhaps a reset line. The datasheet will tell you the sequence of data to send and the timing diagrams.

Good luck,

Blueteeth

Thanks a lot!!! =)
I'll try it out in a couple of days n see if I can get the LCD working

Thanks again... that was really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back