Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD External Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

baberjaved

I have an LCD (Sharp L32019T). There are total 14 wires coming out of it. Two are for back and i need the pinout for the rest of the wires? Where can i find it

Secondly do i need to add an external controller in order to interface this lcd with a microcontroller?

here's a pic of what i have

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 380
yeah Exactly.. I do feel stuffed =/
Anyways... that is a Sharp Graphic LCD. but How do i program it and should i connect it directly to a microcontroller?

Last edited:
baberjaved said:
yeah Exactly.. I do feel stuffed =/
Anyways... that is a Sharp Graphic LCD? How do i program it and should i connect it directly to a microcontroller?

You obtain the datasheet for it from Sharp (if you can? - personally I'm doubtful that they will supply you one - google provides no hits on that number), then follow the details in the datasheet.

If you can't find a datasheet you're probably more stuffed than you already feel! :D

Where did you get this LCD from?

Let me guess eBay?

If so you could ask the seller and if they don't have it then sell it on to some other mug.:D

Heh,

Well, you're not 'stuffed' at all! I guess someone gave you the wrong part number, I've yet to see a Sharp LCD with a part number without the prefix 'LM', or 'LP' :D You can't expect those Ebay peeps to get everything right, after all, we get cheap LCD's out of the deal, just have to do our own research :D

Only one page, just the dimensions, optical specs etc..
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/43107/SHARP/LM32019.html

Full datasheet for the entire LM320** series
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/09/Sharp-LM32019.pdf

In case you're lazy, the pinout:
1. S (scan signal)
2. CP1 (data latch)
3. CP2 (data clock)
4. NC (no connection)
5. Disp OFF (L - OFF, H- ON)
6. D0 (datalines D0-D3)
7. D1
8. D2
9. D3 - (just noticed the previous mistake :D )
10. VDD (I would imagine 5v)
11. VSS (GND, 0V)
12. VEE (-16v to -22v, relative to GND)

Watch out for VEE, in many datasheet they provide a number with respect to VDD, which is 5v. So a quoted VEE of '-22v' is between VDD and VEE, so with repect to GND it would really be '-18v'. But don't worry, just use their recommended VEE circuit, with a potentiometer, so you can adjust contrast.

For a controller for a 320x240, I would recommend the epson S1D13700, which is newer than the SED1335 and has lots of extra goodies, including built in RAM. Plenty of info on the web in rigging it up. Its a hassle using controllerless LCD's....but it'll be worth it when you get LCDstudio up and running and see it in all its blue and white gorgeousness.

There ya go, hope it helps...I must have about 30+ graphic LCD's, along with christ knows how many other ones...its an obsession damnit.

Blueteeth

Last edited:
wonderful..

Blueteeth said:
Heh,

Well, you're not 'stuffed' at all! I guess someone gave you the wrong part number, I've yet to see a Sharp LCD with a part number without the prefix 'LM', or 'LP' :D You can't expect those Ebay peeps to get everything right, after all, we get cheap LCD's out of the deal, just have to do our own research :D

In case you're lazy, the pinout:
1. S (scan signal)
2. CP1 (data latch)
3. CP2 (data clock)
4. NC (no connection)
5. Disp OFF (L - OFF, H- ON)
6. D0 (datalines D0-D3)
7. D1
8. D2
9. D4
10. VDD (I would imagine 5v)
11. VSS (GND, 0V)
12. VEE (-16v to -22v, relative to GND)

Watch out for VEE..

Wonderful answer..

Beautiful combination of Hard work and Smart work..

Regards,

Simran..:)

Ok i've got myself the SED1335... now how do I hook it up with it as the datasheet seems to be very confusing and the chip has a lot of pins.. Do i need all of them?

Can i get a schematic or something from somewhere?

Last edited:
Hey,

It all depends if you bought the sed1335 (or equiv) on its own, in which case you'll need a PCB made up, or....if you got a board already, with the sed1335, oscillator, and ram all ready on it? - These seems to be more available than the chip alone, like 'modules', very handy.

In answer to your question, you'll probably need most of them, however, the circuit can be broken down into four main area's:

1. Connection to the LCD - most likely 9-12 lines, D0-D3, the timing pins, etc..

2. Connection to 'host', be it a PC parallel port, or your microcontroller. This will be 8 I/O's (D0-D7), data latch (E/A), Read/write (R/W) and a reset.

3. Connection from the SED1335 to RAM. It'll need this to hold the 'bitmap' that the LCD is displaying, the SED just refreshes the screen from there. It needs 16 address lines, and 8 data lines.

4. Power and Oscillator. The SED1335 has a couple of power pins, and 2 pins for an external crystal OSC (or you could use a DIP oscillator module).

All the above equates to using pretty much all the pins on the chip, but I wouldn't worry too much, the RAM will take up about half of them, direct connections. In fact, as far as 'external components' go, you'll need the following:

RAM '62256'?
Crystal 8Mhz (I think!) with caps, 2 * 22pf
decoupling caps (100nF * 4)

Thats it!

Theres a quite a few schems on the web, a vast majority of them are for hooking up an 'already SED1335 equipped' LCD to the parallel port, but..there are some for adding an external controller:

**broken link removed** - poor quality
**broken link removed** - small app schem

http://www.woe.onlinehome.de/lcd.htm
http://www.woe.onlinehome.de/proj_gif/sed1335.gif - tried and tested
you can ignore the bottom half of the circuit, as thats for a microcontroller host, note the connection to the SED, a standard 'parallel' port type setup, 8 datalines and a few controll lines.

**broken link removed** - if you use eagle, you can nab the PCB design from this site.

http://www.gst-lcd.com/LCD사진/LCD controller/MSGO335A(TEST-KIT).pdf

I do have some schems of my own, from a basic setup with just the SED1335 and what it needds, all the way up to a full microcontroller system with the sed1335 on board.....its just a case of finding it, as I've recently replaced my HD and I can't find all my schems :eek:

I hope that will keep you going, just ask if you need anything else. You can worry about the 'VEE' circuit later, thats just a circuit to generate -14-22v form 5v, if you plan on powering it all form a single supply.

Good luck!

Blueteeth

I Guess it seems like quite a hectic job as this Graphic LCD was just supposed to be a very small part of my project. I'll try to get my hands on an LCD with a built in controller otherwise i'll try making up the SED1335 circuit myself afterwards...
Thanks a lot for your help! =)

Bluteeth is right there... graphic LCD's can be habit forming :) you just never seem to have enough.

Ok i bought a new LCD with a Built-in Controller (EPSON SID13305F00A1)
Can Anyone help me locate the Datasheet and Usage details... I can't seem to locate it anywhere

Can I please recommend something to do?
I don't wish to be rude. But the thing is, when you buy something, you should make sure that you are getting some information on the item before you just hand over the cash.

At least try to make sure that you are able to locate the datasheet or some tutorials regarding that exact component online: otherwise it's like buying something useless if you do not know how to use it.

Anyways, I don't mean to discourage you. But you seem to be picking up some LCDs with really unusual controllers which might be trouble if you cannot find a datasheet.

I'll search a bit for you.
-Omar

Last edited:
Omar.M said:
Can I please recommend something to do?
I don't wish to be rude. But the thing is, when you buy something, you should make sure that you are getting some information on the item before you just hand over the cash.

At least try to make sure that you are able to locate the datasheet or some tutorials regarding that exact component online: otherwise it's like buying something useless if you do not know how to use it.

Anyways, I don't mean to discourage you. But you seem to be picking up some LCDs with really unusual controllers which might be trouble if you cannot find a datasheet.

I'll search a bit for you.
-Omar
Yes, I understand but the thing is I am not buying them... I'm just getting them from someone free of cost for my project :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back