Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Bargraph code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustinetez

On the off chance, does anybody have some simple code already written that will take a 0-5V voltage applied to the ADC input and convert it to a bargraph on a 16x2 or 20x4 LCD?

For the 16F1827 PIC.

I found one written for Proton Basic but their free trial compiler seems to be no longer available and of course it won't work in the Oshonsoft compiler without a total rewrite.

Ian, can you define the first eight (or 5) characters to be 1 to 5 pixels (if memory serves well) so you can have a 1 pixel bar?

Mike.

Yeah! I do that, but it looks rubbish This is the way Proton Basic do it and it actually looks better..

The characters are 1 space away from each other..

I have two types ( now three ) one is a 16 character box and the position moves from one side to the other.. Like a slider..

I made it "muck about-able" Any size, up to 20 chars 3 or 5 bar resolution It now accepts 0 ~ 100%

Enjoy... I do like the 3 line type.. But now its up to you.. I enjoyed doing this..

Attachments

• bar.bas
    3.1 KB · Views: 263
Sometimes.. On a Sunday when all else is a sleep.. I can write pages of code ( mostly C ) and surprise myself that no syntax or compile errors have occurred.. It bowls me over sometimes..

Because I have a full copy of Proteus.. I can test immediately..

Sometimes.. On a Sunday when all else is a sleep.. I can write pages of code ( mostly C ) and surprise myself that no syntax or compile errors have occurred.. It bowls me over sometimes..

Because I have a full copy of Proteus.. I can test immediately..

I'd be more than surprised :D

Always a curly bracket missing, or confusion with '=' and '==' :D

For reasons I haven't worked out yet, the first Bar graph file refused to work on the '1827 test bed so I ported it across to my 16F886 test bed.

Likewise it also refused to co-operate.

Just to make sure I hadn't completely lost the plot I ran the 'Hello world' script in the same file (commenting out all the bar graph code) which ran fine, which is when I noticed the 'All_Digital' command and applied it to the bar graph code - success. Still to try it on the '1827.

My amended code below:
C:
'For 16F886 4MHz clock and using R/W bit in LCD interface

Define CONFIG = 0x20c4
Define CONFIG2 = 0x3fff

#define LCD_LINES = 4
#define LCD_CHARS = 20
#define LCD_BITS = 4
#define LCD_DREG = PORTB
#define LCD_DBIT = 0
#define LCD_RSREG = PORTB
#define LCD_RSBIT = 6
#define LCD_EREG = PORTB
#define LCD_EBIT = 4
#define LCD_RWREG = PORTB
#define LCD_RWBIT = 5
#define LCD_COMMANDUS = 5000  'delay after LCDCMDOUT, default value is 5000
#define LCD_DATAUS = 100  'delay after LCDOUT, default value is 100
#define LCD_INITMS = 100  'delay used by LCDINIT, default value is 100
'the last three Define directives set the values suitable for simulation; they should be omitted for a real device

#define ADC_Clk = 3
#define ADC_Sample_uS = 50

All_Digital

TRISB = 0

ANSEL = %00000100  'configure all PORTA pins except RA2 as digital I/O's

Dim buffer(16) As Byte
Dim data As Word
Dim dumm As Word

Lcdinit 0

Lcddefchar 0, %00000, %00000, %00000, %00000, %00000, %00000, %00000, %00000
Lcddefchar 1, %10000, %10000, %10000, %10000, %10000, %10000, %10000, %10000
Lcddefchar 2, %10100, %10100, %10100, %10100, %10100, %10100, %10100, %10100
Lcddefchar 3, %10101, %10101, %10101, %10101, %10101, %10101, %10101, %10101

main:

ADC_Read 2, data
    dumm = data / 21
    dumm = dumm * 100 / 48
    Lcdcmdout LcdLine1Home
    Lcdout " BAR GRAPH ", #dumm, " "

Lcdcmdout LcdLine2Home
    Call bar(data)

Goto main
End                                               

Proc bar(dat As Word)
    Dim idx As Byte
    Dim pos1 As Byte
    Dim pos2 As Byte

pos1 = dat / 21
    pos2 = (pos1 Mod 3)
    pos1 = pos1 / 3

For idx = 0 To 15
        buffer(idx) = 0x20
    Next idx
    For idx = 1 To pos1
        buffer(idx - 1) = 3
    Next idx
    If pos2 = 0 Then
        buffer(idx - 1) = 0x20
    Else
        buffer(idx - 1) = pos2
    Endif

For idx = 0 To 15
        Lcdout buffer(idx)
    Next idx

End Proc                                         

'All_Digital
'Lcdinit LcdCurBlink
'loop:
'Lcdout "Hello world!"
'WaitMs 1000
'Lcdcmdout LcdClear
'WaitMs 1000
'Goto loop

Swapped out 'All_digital' for the added 'ANSELH = 0' in the 16F886 code and it worked, will have another go with the 16F1827 version a little later.

Also just a quick note on a bug in the Oshonsoft Basic Compiler versions when using the sim with an LCD (confirmed by Vlad after I sent the report).

When you load the sim which is using the LCD module, it asks if you want to use the connection/port details from the loaded program - this works fine if you use this form of 'Define xxxx'.

However, if you use '#define xxx', it doesn't work and you have to manually configure the LCD module every time.

The '#' is an escape character primarily for C for the pre-processor... Basic doesn't use them..

If you look at ALL his examples they are not used... BUT!! I would have thought an error would occur
Also the #define IS the line in the help file.. I think the help file is cocked up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back