Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Last minute Question-PIC clocks to DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniferkpj

Hi everyone! I have been struggling with the timing issue of my PIC for a few weeks and still have no success. If anyone could please help me out I would greatly appreciate it. The demo is tomorrow and I am pretty disappointed...:(

I have read and tried to use timer0, timer1, and timer2 to set up some clocks that my DAC needs(not in the following codes). The problem is, I need to load DATA to the DAC as well. Every time I tried to load the DATA on the line all the clocks slow down. I need decently fast clocks (for speech), and aiming for the max clock to be at least 1MHz. I am using a 40MHz crystal. Loading the DATA also causes my clocks to have weird periods...(some pulses are longer than the others).
The three clocks I need have the following relationship:
System clock = 128*fs, Back clock = 32*fs, and Leftright clock = fs, where I am using fs = 8kHz. I am using PCM 1770 from TI and PIC18F.

Here's my codes:
Code:
// DAC TEST PROGRAM

#include <16F877A.h>

int16 sample[2][10] = {
0x8E00,0xC200,0x8300,0x7D00,0x7E00,0x6B00,0x7400,0x8F00,0xA700,0xB500,
0x9B00,0x6E00,0x4800,0x2D00,0x4100,0x2D00,0x2A00,0x2200,0x1A00,0x2200
};

#define BCLK		PIN_C7
#define DATALINE	PIN_C6
#define LRCLK		PIN_C5
#define SYSCLK		PIN_C4

#use delay(clock = 10000000)

void output_DAC(long DAC_Data)
{
int c;
int d;

c = 0;

// Left bits
output_high(LRCLK);

for(d = 15; d != -1; d--)
{
	output_bit(DATALINE, bit_test(DAC_Data, d));
	for (c = 0; c < 2; c++)
	{
		output_high(SYSCLK);
		output_low(SYSCLK);
	}
	output_high(BCLK);
	d++;
	for (c = 0; c < 2; c++)
	{
		output_high(SYSCLK);
		output_low(SYSCLK);
	}
	output_low(BCLK);
}

d = 0;

output_low(LRCLK);

for(d = 15; d != -1; d--)
{
	output_bit(DATALINE, bit_test(DAC_Data, d));
	for (c = 0; c < 2; c++)
	{
		output_high(SYSCLK);
		output_low(SYSCLK);
	}

output_high(BCLK);
	d++;

for (c = 0; c < 2; c++)
	{
		output_high(SYSCLK);
		output_low(SYSCLK);
	}
	output_low(BCLK);
}

}

void DAC_Sample()
{
	int c, r;
	// Initial clock state
	output_low(BCLK);
	output_low(SYSCLK);
	output_low(LRCLK);
	for (c = 0; c < 250; c++)
	{
		for (r = 0; r < 10; r++)
				output_DAC(sample[c][r]);
	}	
}

void main()
{
int i = 0;

int ts, tb;

int bitindex;
int colindex;
int rowindex;
long databyte;

setup_timer_0(RTCC_INTERNAL |RTCC_DIV_256 );
set_timer0(0);

setup_timer_1(T1_INTERNAL | T1_DIV_BY_1);
set_timer1(0);
databyte = sample[colindex][rowindex];

// timer interval for timer bits
tb = 0;
ts = 0;
//tempbit = temp.1;

while(1)
{

}
}

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
My understanding of that DAC (and I'm probably wrong) is that you have to send 2 16 bit words at the sample frequency. So, if your sample is at 8kHz then you have to send at 8*16*2 = 256kHz or faster. You would have to use the hardware serial port for this and run it around 500kHz. You would send 2 bytes and then manually flip the L/R bit before sending another 2 bytes. This sequence would need repeating after a short delay so a four byte sequence was sent at a rate of 8kHz.

The above could be achieved with a 16 series chip but the timing would be tight and wouldn't leave any processing time to fetch the data. An 18 series chip should manage but it really depends on where the data is coming from.

Mike.
BTW, a 16F877A has a max crystal frequency of 20MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back