Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser line generator failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeskier89

I have two of these laser line generators, (**broken link removed**) and when I got them they would make a line visible 20ft away. I tested them with a 3V watch battery. Now (~2 months later) I tested them and they are barely visible on a surface 1" away when its dark! What would cause them to be so horrid. I tried using different batteries. Could it be that I mishandled them? Or could the battery sending too much current to the module? I would have thought that the lasers had internal current limiting resistors though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ps: If I need to get new lasers, do you know of any good sources to get cheap class II laser line generators?

I feel stupid :D Even though the two watch batteries were outputing 3V they couldn't provide the amperage. Two seriesed AAs fixed the problem. Again, I can't believe I made that mistake :D

whoops

Some little lasers and keychain LED flashlights use the internal resistance of small battery cells to limit the current. They wouldn't last long with a battery with a lower internal resistance. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back