Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Etching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Saw an advertisment on TV for a computer with a CD/DVD drive that can burn labels on the disk. Something called 'Lightscribe', or something like that. Kind set my mind off on different track, didn't catch the details.

Anyhow, need to do some searching a learn more. What I was wondering if the laser modules are available, and the price. I've seen quite a few laser x/y projects, thought it would be great to leave a lasting image on stuff. Could make for a cool home business. Like window tinting is plastic, so it ought to be etchable. Most everything comes in a plastic case these days... The hardware would of course, and unfortunately appeal to graffitti artisr and vandals (don't wash off...).

Doesn't seem like a hugely complicated project. Just wonder if its already been done, very expensive, or some unfortunate limitations. Just sort of day dreaming at this point.

No, lightscribe doesn't actually inscribe the text or image on the disk. The disk is coated with a special material that is sensitive to the laser. I am not sure if it is sensitive to the intensity of the laser, or if it is sensitive to pulses. I think it would be sensitive to the intensity. Either way, the color is dependent on the laser. This is why you need to buy the special lightscribe CDs.

Good Idea, tough.

I see people etching apple laptops all the time on the internet. makezine.com or instructables.com one of them. Careful, you can loose a day on some websites like that.

Yeah, I found out about the dye on the Lightscribe CDs. Bummer...
Found that laser etching is done with a CO2 laser. Not really a portable device, and very expensive. Checked a few websites that make the equipment, but couldn't find any prices. They want to send brochures and setup a demo, pretty sure I don't have that kind of cash.

You're right, HarveyH42. The machines used to do etching use a CO2 laser (sometimes YAG). They're rather large (like a photocopier) and not cheap (low-end model prices start at about $10K US). Very cool machines though. I know some folks nearby who have two for their business, a 30 Watt model and a 100 Watt unit. Universal Laser Systems units are the ones I'm mostly familiar with ...www.ulsinc.com
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back